Disk Utilities doesn't recognise my external hard drive OSX 10.5.8

Reaction score
Just bought a new seagate 1tb 2.5" external hdd. I want to format it so I can use it on my mac. the problem is, I can't even find the hard drive in the first place. doesn't show up in disk utilities at all.

please help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is the drive self powered or does it use power from the USB port? If the drive is self powered and doesn't mount, it may be defective. However, if it's USB powered, it may not be getting enough current from the USB port to power up.

To resolve that, you can try a dual USB cable (one with two plugs) and attach it to two ports at once, or buy a powered USB hub.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Just bought a new seagate 1tb 2.5" external hdd. I want to format it so I can use it on my mac. the problem is, I can't even find the hard drive in the first place. doesn't show up in disk utilities at all.

please help.

Just been thru much head scratching due to intermittent Firewire issue on MacBookPro and a LaCie enclosure that had a heat problem - would unmount after getting warm. In all the testing it worked on USB OK but with Firewire sometimes it would work and sometimes not - even with three different cables.
Perhaps test your drive on another computer if u can.

Click for full size

FWIW Center FW 800 cable seemed more reliable

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.