Macbook fan noise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83 GHz 2GB RAM Mac OS 10.6.1
I know this is an old issue, but my macbook fans are always at maximum! I downloaded fan control, but the fan refuses to spin at the speed I tell it to. I have reset the smc on a number of occasions and it works, but only for a little while. What steps can I take?

Reaction score
fan

I have actually just an hour ago had a black Macbook disassembled, to fix the fan issue. I used the guide at ifixit.com to loosen the fan. You would be so surprised how much dust there was behind the fan (you can't see it until you unscrew the fan and lift it up and look behind it). It was completely blocked so it couldn't get in air. I removed all the dust and reassembled the computer, and after that it takes A LOT more to make the fan start.

I know it seems like a very aggressive method but it really works! Good luck if you venture that way! :)

Claus

OP
tomavery
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83 GHz 2GB RAM Mac OS 10.6.1
I have actually just an hour ago had a black Macbook disassembled, to fix the fan issue. I used the guide at ifixit.com to loosen the fan. You would be so surprised how much dust there was behind the fan (you can't see it until you unscrew the fan and lift it up and look behind it). It was completely blocked so it couldn't get in air. I removed all the dust and reassembled the computer, and after that it takes A LOT more to make the fan start.

I know it seems like a very aggressive method but it really works! Good luck if you venture that way! :)

Claus

Thanks very much! I might have a go if all else fails. My computer is always a little hot, but my real problem is that the fans are running faster than the fan control says they SHOULD based on the core temperature.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.