10.6.2 Slow Connecting to Windows File Servers

Reaction score
I am seeing quite a few posts regarding the DNS responder causing issues resolving network names with Snow Leopard. My issue is on an iMac with 8GB of RAM, and a brand new install of Snow Leopard. All updates are current. I have the iMac in a workgroup that is on the same subnet as the Windows domain, but not binded to AD. Accessing Windows file servers was as easy as domainname\username and password before. I was able to connect to file shares and set up aliases for the user on the iMac. The Windows file server was rebooted and now her connections to the Windows file servers are taking about 4 minutes to resolve. She also has sluggish response times working on files on that server. 3 or 4 reboots of the iMac seem to help but that is not a solution. I am going to try sudo killall mdnsresponder as suggested but would love any other suggestions on this. Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Do you have fully functional DNS like you should on a Windows AD domain controller? are you doing FQDN or netbios names? have you tried connecting via IP address and bypassing name resolution? I know I've got this iMac on a network with multiple Windows AD forests and I have no problem gaining access to the shares (including administrative shares) on the various servers and workstations. If you're in a workgroup only situation, then it's a different story as many people do have some problems with OS 10.6 in workgroups in terms of master browser elections.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.