Macbook showing mouse diagram at install.

Reaction score
I have a macbook a friend gave me but he did not have the install disc for it. He took out the hard drive when he gave me the MB, so I am trying to reinstall the OS. I put in the leopard install disc and it boots to install great but stops one step before with a mouse diagram like its not connected. As soon as I connect an external mouse and keyboard all is fine. I am wondering if this is because I dont have the Macbook install disc? Can I Install a retail Leopard disc on a MB. Thank you so much for any help you all can give me.

This machine had a spill but was left to dry and was cleaned of all residue. I thought the keyboard was gone so I bought another one and this one gives me the same diagram. I am using the first retail version of leopard 10.5 to try and install. I bought it for my G5. The macbook is the black 13 core 2 duo. I was wondering if anyone thinks I am getting this mouse diagram because I do not have the original MACBOOK INSTALL DISC.

Thanks again,

J

OP
R
Reaction score
Whats crazy is the disc loads up it just does not see the keyboard and track pad. When I plug in an external it goes to the next step and the rest of the disc works. I have used 2 keyboards and I get that same diagram of a mouse with 2 batteries and a arrow pointing to the mouse as step 1 then step 2 replace mouse back casing. Has anyone seen this before or should I be worried that there is a problem with the logic board recognizing the keyboard?

The disc I am using is a retail version. Came in the black holographic box with the big X. There is no hard drive in the computer. I am trying to test the machine by booting up from the install disc. I know it sounds crazy but i have not received my new drive yet. LOL now if I can convince someone with a macbook to remove the hard drive and try booting up with a retail version to get the same result. . Any takers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Problem appears to be with the water damage and logic board may have shorted.

OP
R
Reaction score
There was no liquid anywhere near logic board just seeped into the HD bay. I just loaded OSX from the retail on a external HD computer works great. Everything works perfect but the keyboard. I can use a usb mouse and keyboard. This is driving me crazy :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Just because you think it seeped into the Hard Drive tray and didn't damage the logic board, this doesn't make it true.
Post 1: Trying to install
Post 2: Trying to boot without HD installed
?????
How have you been trying to install if you've had no hard drive installed?
Are you joking?
Is this thread for real?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
How have you been trying to install if you've had no hard drive installed?
Are you joking?
Is this thread for real?

Such pessimism lol ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Tell me you didn't laugh when you read the no hard drive bit O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Tell me you didn't laugh when you read the no hard drive bit O:)

HAHA i cant.
I just think the OP didnt get his analogy correct ;P

He knows what he wants to say, but .........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We'll see what he says, anyway, gotta go shopping now, so I'm just going go take the engine out of my car, put some petrol in, and see how far I get :p

C

chas_m

Hey guys!

I just discovered a great way to lose weight!

What you do is you cook yourself up a lovely juicy burger with all the trimming, then remove the meat, bread, toppings and condiments and just eat THE AIR THAT USED TO BE BETWEEN THEM.

Ummmm-um!!! Not really very filling, but it sure smelled good! :)

OP
R
Reaction score
LOL Ok I understand it sounds crazy. Let me explain.

First of all I am not trying to install without a hard drive. I was testing the machine and its functions with the install disc which brings up the system profiler. From there I know I can see what is connected and showing up. I can also test blue tooth and wireless. Even with no HD you can boot a mac from its install. What has me scratching my head is the lack of seeing the track pad and keyboard. The power button works like a charm on it so something is getting through to the logic board. So I am trying to narrow down possible reasons why they do not work. external keyboard and mouse work just fine but keyboard and track pad do not. This is the second track pad and keyboard but I get the same result for both. I would assume any kind of short in the logic board would be wide spread an prevent the computer from its other functions. This is not the case.

Second I have fond an extra external drive which I installed my leopard disc on. Computer runs boots great everything works BUT THE KEYBOARD. My question is does anyone think it could be caused by not having the original MACBOOK DISC thus lacking the drivers needed for its function. Which could be the reason for me getting the mouse diagram when I was trying to install. This is the same diagram you will get if you try to install on a imac with no keyboard and mouse connected.

OP
R
Reaction score
I am not new to macs just new to this problem. I have seen many post on spills and I am just looking for some things that may be similar. I am just working my way to the logic board since it is the most expensive part to replace in this situation. I am sorry for the confusion and I hope these 2 post clear things up for what I am trying to do. Thanks again for any help you all can give.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
firstly I would check all the connections, check that they are clean and connected properly.... It could be as simple as that.
I would also install the combo update, just to rule out any installation problems, which I don't believe it is! Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update
Then I would repair disk permissions as part of the post update routine.
In all likelyhood, it is either a faulty connection or the logic board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 320M
The leopard disk is not the problem, why would they sell a retail version if you cant use it? Take the macbook apart by using this Guide and check is there is any sort of burt parts or liquid stains.

I belive that the power button is using the same connection as the keyboard and trackpad (My 06 mbp does). Once you have checked everything then start to spend your money.

If you are planning on buying a logic board, look around to see if it will be better to buy a new laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.