iBook G4 life expectancy

Reaction score
Hi all,

some years ago (summer 2006) I bought an iBook G4 (14", 1.42 GHz, 512 Mb RAM, 60 Gb HD) with Apple Care Protection. Until some months ago, I never had any problems and was a very happy Mac fan.

Unfortunately, my logicboard and airport card crashed recently and I kept getting the "You need to restart your computer" kernel panic messages. According to the Mac store helpdesk here in the Netherlands I need to replace them in order to have a functional iBook again (which will cost me over 800 euros since my Apple Care expired by now).

On different fora I read posts from other people with similar problems and the helpdesk in my town confirmed that this is a known problem with iBook G4.

Could some of you tell me at what point this problem commonly occurs? My computer is only 3 1/2 years old and (esspecially for the price I paid for it) I would expect that the life expectancy should be at least 5 to 6 years.

Thanks for your input !!

Piet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I have owned a couple different iBooks, I had the same problem with my G4 1.33Ghz model and I also had a G3 with the dreaded video card problem. I know a lot of people still use iBooks,But I think for the most part the iBook was a failure in many ways (not trying to flame) but they were plagued with many problems, I would never buy again, Like I said There are many happy iBook owners.

To answer your questions about life expectancy I think you'll get many different answers, I can recall reading about iBook owners who had to have their logic boards replaced 2 and 3 times because of the above mentioned issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.