Boot from external CD Drive?

Reaction score
I have an Aluminum Power Book G4 15" 1.67 Ghz. I'm not sure which OS is on it. I have purchased it from a buddy and the thing has issues which is why I got it for next to nothing. It will load to the desktop but I can't see anything (please don't try and diagnose, I've spent hours on here already doing that).

I got the retail version of leopard and wanted to do a clean install of the OS. After an hour on the phone with Apple, we've come to the conclusion that the disc drive is bad and I am unable to boot from it.

And Finally.....to the question....

Can I boot from an external device? If I can't view the desktop and I can't boot from the cd drive cause the drive is bad.....how in the world can I do a re-install of the OS?

Any help is much appreciated....thanks!

OP
A
Reaction score
Oh yeah....forgot to mention that I already tried to boot from an external CD Drive and it didn't work. Apple support told me to hold down OPTION during startup and it will list my bootable devices. It doesn't list the internal drive or the external....only shows the harddrive

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What type of external CD drive did you try? Your machine is probably not going to boot from any external device that's USB 2.0. Some PPC machines will boot from a USB device but most need Firewire in order to boot. I suggest you try a Firewire external CD drive instead.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.