File Copy Error (onto usb)

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to mac and new to the forums here...

Just wanted to ask a quick question..
I am attempting to copy some files from the mac onto my usb (which is formatted to MS-DOS (Fat) format.

However, when I attempt to copy this folder (1.34gb) onto the USB, it gives me an error reading:

"The Finder Cant complete the operation because some data in the folder cant be read or written. Error -36"

I have attempted to transfer the individuals files across.. which works.
And also a smaller folder...
I have also formatted the USB to Mac OS Extended (Jounraled) and it seems to be copying over fine.

However, I may require to transfer files to and from the mac and pc.

It would be great if anyone can give me a hand at this problem.

THanks guys!

C

chas_m

If you are running Snow Leopard on your Mac (as you probably are), then I think I know what's going on.

Snow Leopard changed the way file sizes are calculated back to their true sizes in decimal (base 10) rather than binary (base 2). Your 1.34GB file may be too close to the limit of Fat32 (which we always say is 2GB, but is that an exact figure or an approximation?) since FAT32 uses binary to calculate file sizes.

OP
H
Reaction score
If you are running Snow Leopard on your Mac (as you probably are), then I think I know what's going on.

Snow Leopard changed the way file sizes are calculated back to their true sizes in decimal (base 10) rather than binary (base 2). Your 1.34GB file may be too close to the limit of Fat32 (which we always say is 2GB, but is that an exact figure or an approximation?) since FAT32 uses binary to calculate file sizes.

So if i split the folder in two, and have 500mb each it should work?

Edit: ive just tired putting a 20mb file over it still doesnt work :(

C

chas_m

Okay, I misread your original post a little. Sorry.

Different thought: is this drive self-powered, or hooked to an electric supply?

OP
H
Reaction score
Okay, I misread your original post a little. Sorry.

Different thought: is this drive self-powered, or hooked to an electric supply?

it is self powered,
no power supply and just a simple plug into the usb slot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.