Macbook logic board questions!!

Reaction score
Yeah, so exciting right!

Anyway, I've been looking around on ebay for Macbook (just the regular Macbook) parts. I enjoy the Pro as well, but for now, I have my eyes set on building a Black Macbook from parts. If I piece it together right, it looks like I can do it for about $135 - $220 depending on what I equip it with.

There are two things holding me back now. One, what logicboard to get. Do they all fit each other? (Are all Macbooks interchangeable? Or some, or none?)

And two, how do you repair a logicboard. (I KNOW, very broad question), but I can't find a simple straight answer to anything. I can't find diagnostic software, diagnostic manuals, etc. I can't find anything, so anything related to logicboard diagnostic and repair is appreciated.

What I want to do is actually build a lot of these because I enjoy having multiple laptops. And also I want to make one for my girl as well. And I'd someday like to own a Pro, and maybe an Air. The possibilities are limiitless at an affordable cost, so that's why I am interested in this.

OP
O
Reaction score
Anyone? I see logicboard repair stores all over the UK, and there's several other US places offering to have a board shipped there for small fee. Like $200 USD to have it all said and done. Not bad to me, considering a new one is like $750.

With that having been said, it shouldn't be too hard to fix right?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
$135-$220?????

You're sitting at $200 just for the system board already - how much is the screen going to cost you - $350? - Can't see how you're going to build one buying the individual parts for within $100 of buying a new one with warranty.

Fix what?? A system board that doesn't work for $200 and you don't know what's wrong with it? If it's the integrated graphics that's blown on it - you've just thrown your money away.

OP
O
Reaction score
^^^ I've got hookups with people that recycle this kind of "junk". Ebay gets me a case and keyboard, etc. for about $30-70 (no screen etc.), but I know guys that will just give me "old" parts for free. One's a Mac dealer who throws away broken parts all the time. He replaces so many parts a day he doesn't have time to mess with "piddly crap" like repairing a logic board or piecing together a computer. At dozens of computers to fix a day, put it this way, I can get blown logic boards for free if I wanted. He just tosses them because they're out of warranty, and as a dealer, he repairs stuff with new parts anyway. At least that seems like what the story is, but either way, I can get broken parts for dirt cheap from him. The only thing he doesn't have are cases laying around, and good optical drives. Batteries too.

Anyway, I can make a laptop for that much, I just need to know how to repair a logic board. If I can repair them, then I'll pick up his junk and fix it. If I can't find a good way to repair them, then I'm screwed because you're right, a board is $200 at least, at that's used. It throws a wrench in the whole plan.

I can find screens for cheap as well, (I know a lot of people).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no good way to repair a mother board unless you are in possession of "excellent" skills at soldering. Especially when you don't even know what's wrong with it when you buy it. Could have bad caps, graphics card, power supply, network card, SATA port died, audio port died, etc.... what equipment do you have to even test a board to determine what needs repairing? In many cases, you'll not be able to find the individual part, you'll need to scavenge it from another board where that part is still working.

Sorry, imho, this is a bad idea. As you say you still need a battery, hard drive, optical drive, RAM - There's another $250-$300 right there. If the board is $200, how much is the screen with the housing? another $200... you're still up to $600-$700 minimum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Why not ask the Dealer/Computer Fixit Man how to repair these things. If you are getting them off a repairer wouldnt that be the logical place to start ... Spock lol

Just a thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
Could you do it?

Yes... But without having good test equipment you will have a very hard time doing it.

If you really want to try then the only way I can see you doing it that will be within your ability is to go get yourself some basic test equipment to check capacitors... Now if you have a source of non-working logic board from your friend then start by going and having him give you about a hundred of them.... Now check the capacitors on each and everyone. You are going to be hoping that you find a logic board that failed because of a bad capacitor and is otherwise working fine.... I'm guessing you might have a fifty-fifty chance of finding one in that batch of 100 that is only failing because of a bad capacitor...

As for your other question about logic boards fitting in cases... I'm pretty sure that any of the early core duo and core 2 duo logic boards will fit into any of the black cases... the one problem you will have is that the little battery charging board differs in various models as does the keyboard which may appeal the same on the top but there are different types of connections used to connect to the logic board.

Good luck

OP
O
Reaction score
I guess I should rephrase my questions. Sorry for the ambiguity. So I mean to ask...

What is this diagnostic equipment? Where can I learn how to use it and buy it? Where can I learn how to study computers in depth (not like Howstuffworks) but like, an actual good service manual I can study.

I ask because, I want to become the "Mac guy". The one that, "Oh yeah, if you got a Mac, take it to KJ, he seriously can fix anything." I think it'd be a fun side hobby and a good way to save money for people. That's how I got into repairing cars in a more advanced way.

Some background, I repair bad sensors on cars which almost no mechanic does, but when a $150 repair will fix a $560 sensor, lots of customers appreciate that. I did a Lexus MAF which normally would've cost $480, and I did it in an hour and repaired it for $100. I am not afraid to learn the advanced stuff. When I was working for a shop, we didn't just have basic shop tools, we had a $6,000 diagnostic computer that reads EVERYTHING on the car. Of course it takes a lot of skill to work and 80% of the Jiffy Lube techs didn't know it existed, but now no one can beat our shop's speed and accuracy. I can tell you if the wires on the 7th fuel injector are bad in a matter of 5 minutes, whereas without the machine, you could spend 2 or 3 hours looking for the bad ground.

I've already priced out the Macbook build, and a cheap one would cost me $130 ish. I can get an optical drive for $5 from friends, batteries for $30, etc. etc. I am a service manager of a shop, and lots of people give me good deals on anything since I give them good deals on car repairs and diagnostics. My cousin too has a pile of computers in his room that he just "collects".

Otherwise, yeah, I'd be spending a crapload of dough just piecing together something that costs as much as a new one. Sorry for the confusion, that's what I am looking for.

So,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.