iMac Sleep Light

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
In my never ending quest to become a switcher by the end of the summer, I spend probably far too much of my time reading throughout many forums and of course the Apple website. Today, I was looking through the iMac section of the site and came across this:

Great ambience
When you put your iMac G5 to sleep, you may become captivated by its pulsating sleep light. But in low-light environments, a sensor detects the room’s ambient light and adjusts the sleep light to match, so you and your iMac G5 can both catch some Zs.

In the forums, I have seen a lot of complaints regarding the sleep light on the Rev. A iMacs. People seemed to even go as far as to put tape over the light because it was so bright in their room that they couldn't sleep. So, my question is is this something new on the Rev. B iMacs, and if so, have any of the Rev. B iMac owners noticed this difference? Because if I get an iMac, I'm going to need to catch some Zs! Thanks...

F

flyingpostman

I have a rev. A iMac and the sleep light lights up the whole office in my house. I couldn't imagine sleeping in the same room with it on. The pulsating light is a very neat thing to look at, but adding a sensor to it I don't really understand, it seems to make something that should be simple overly complicated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I recently got a Rev. B iMac. It does indeed dim when I turn the lights in my bedroom off to go to sleep. I've actually stood there watching it pulsate brighter when I turn the lights on, and then pulsate more dim when I turn the lights off! :D

As far as being too bright, I haven't had any problem sleeping with the light.

Reaction score
why don't you just shut your computer down?? or just put it on a blank black screen saver. if your to lazy to shut it down every night and start it up every morning, then i feel sorry for you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
shaun89 said:
why don't you just shut your computer down?? or just put it on a blank black screen saver. if your to lazy to shut it down every night and start it up every morning, then i feel sorry for you

It's not a matter of laziness. The idea behind "sleep" mode is that the computer is in a state where it is consuming very little power, yet can be instantly awakened when necessary. This also eliminates excess wear and tear on the HDD from frequent re-booting. I almost never completely shut down either of my Mac's, and it certainly isn't because I'm "too lazy" to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Too right. Laziness has nothing to do with it. Think of it this way. I'm willing to bet that due to our 'laziness', we won't have to be 'lazy' and upgrade 1 year early...
Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If you check in System Update there is now a Sleep Light Update for iMac G5's

The iMac G5 Sleep Light Update adjusts the brightness of your iMac G5 sleep indicator light so it's not as bright during the evening. The daytime brightness remains the same.

This update is installed in Applications > Utilities and should automatically launch. Click Update and follow the onscreen instructions to apply the update.

Note: Once the update has started, do not cancel or interrupt it. The updater takes over one minute to complete. During the update, your computer fans will run at full speed, but will return to normal once the update completes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Forgot to post back to let you know how it went. The results are fantastic. I sleep on the other side of my room and the Mac didn't even face me but I had to shut it off at night because the light was so bright, now its barely anything

Z

zer0uk

How do you adjust the times when the light goes into night mode or is it not adjustable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is not adjustable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You mean the eyeball frying 2000W lighthouse lamp that was stuck into the rev A. iMac? Yeah the update definitely improves that ... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was like a lighthouse beacon beforehand

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
That's the kind of cool you only get from Apple !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, you can just imagine Steve going:

"I want it brighter!" - engineer turns up brightness..
"BRIGHTER! It needs to stand out!" - engineer puts on sunglasses and turns up brightness...
"BRIGHTER!!! It needs to blind people with its beauty, push the barriers of convention, be different!" - engineer shields his eyes with a welding hood, turns up brightness and leaves the room, leaving Jobs basking in the halo of light radiating from the iMac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ludicrous speed GO!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Aptmunich said:
Yeah, you can just imagine Steve going:

"I want it brighter!" - engineer turns up brightness..
"BRIGHTER! It needs to stand out!" - engineer puts on sunglasses and turns up brightness...
"BRIGHTER!!! It needs to blind people with its beauty, push the barriers of convention, be different!" - engineer shields his eyes with a welding hood, turns up brightness and leaves the room, leaving Jobs basking in the halo of light radiating from the iMac...

:cool: that's exactly how it happened at Cupertino... :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.