Safe operating temperature for a '07 Macbook

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2007 white Macbook. I dont think that the temperatures that it achieves under load are safe but i dont know so im asking you. Ill tell you my specs and then the temperatures i achieve.
Specs:
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz

The idle temperature is 53 degrees Celsius, which isnt to bad but the fully loaded temp can be up to 115 degrees Celsius. This doesnt seem safe as a normal desktop shouldnt run higher than 90 or so. Yes, the fan is on MAX and i can hear it. If you do not believe me i can post screen shots of it under load and idle. (Load on my computer means watching a 360p youtube video, as the CPU gets maxed out.)

Thank you in advance

Reaction score
uhh watching one youtube video maxes out your core 2 duo 2.4???

id say something is wrong there.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
If the computer gets to a unsafe temperature then it shuts itself off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It is a little high...... you shouldn't see it get much past 95˚C unless you are blocking the vent and have it sitting on a soft smothering surface.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It is a little high...... you shouldn't see it get much past 95˚C unless you are blocking the vent and have it sitting on a soft smothering surface.
Agreed. If all you're doing is watching a YT video, that is way too high. As 6string has alluded to (but is worth re-asking), what kind of surface are you using your MB on? It sure sounds like you're MB is struggling to ventilate properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
As above and try some compressed air and try to blow out any dust and such, as its 3 yrs old and they do collect dust over the years.
You dont comment as to if it has only just doing this or its been increasing over time. But a good blow job on it cant hurt at all :)

C

chas_m

I find it absolutely fascinating that people seem to believe that Apple didn't take normal (or even exceptional) operation into consideration when designing the cooling system. As though they just "forgot" that computers get hot when used.

Fascinating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Usually agreed chas_m, but in this case we are talking 115˚C (238˚F) while watching a utube video. This is on the unusual side of things, which would lead to the question of smothering the Mac, or some sort of fault, be it dirty fan, etc.
I have roughly the same idle temp, and when watching utube vids see 65˚C on my MacBook.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi, yes thanks for all the replies. On the topic of smothering the Mac, When i first noticed this i was using this on my wood desk, not on a blanket or such. I did a test and tried it on my bed an the temperature didnt change. Somebody recommended compressed air? What kind of place would sell this and I would just blow it into the vent on the back? Right no as im typing this is sitting in my lap and its running at 42 degrees so thats pretty normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
brickbar weeks

for reference, i just check my temps with istat on my white preunibody macbook and then run about 35c to 45c under load.

OP
A
Reaction score
then mine must be way to hot because Im using IStat and im getting the 115c under load. Im going to take it into my Mac store and have them take it apart and put it back together. I think maybe the thermal compound or the fan might be worn out. Ill post results when its done

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to be sure that anyone who reads this thread understands before they go rushing to Apple.......
Temp depends on climate, load, and operating environment.
There are many variables!
Climate - Temperature, humidity, airflow and altitude
Load - One or many CPU intensive apps running, flash, etc
Environment - Are you using the laptop on a clear solid surface, raised surface, etc

Apple Portables: Operating temperature

As stated many times, these laptops are designed by Apple to shut down before they exceed safe operating temperatures!!!

*read the following post!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Just to be sure that anyone who reads this thread understands before they go rushing to Apple.......
Temp depends on climate, load, and operating environment.
There are many variables!
Climate - Temperature, humidity, airflow and altitude
Load - One or many CPU intensive apps running, flash, etc
Environment - Are you using the laptop on a clear solid surface, raised surface, etc

Apple Portables: Operating temperature

As stated many times, these are laptops are designed by Apple to shut down before they exceed safe operating temperatures!!!

Well said. Feel like we need a *sticky* like the "i spilled liquid on my notebook", so people can understand. Im sure we get 10 questions a day regarding this subject.
If the Mods read this, what do you think ???
I will post in the suggestions forum as well.

Just a thought.
+1 for me .... Anyone else want to + it ??

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers my inked Mac friend :p

+1 to the sticky thread about this, as well as a backing up the hard drive sticky thread!!!

:)

Reaction score
My maximum temperature for comparison

I just wanted to add that I also have a 2007 MacBook, and I run rosetta@home when I'm not on battery power. At my desk in an air-conditioned office, even with my processor at 100% usage for an eight-hour workday I never pass 86 degrees.

I do have two suggestions if you are concerned about heat:

You might want to look into a utility called smcFanControl. You can increase the minimum fan speeds on your MacBook with it, even setting different speeds for battery or on AC. It also has the ability to keep your current fan speed and internal temperature displayed in the menu bar.

My other suggestion is an excellent form of passive cooling I found online. Monoprice.com sells a pad of phase-change material for just ten bucks on their site. It significantly lowers the operating temperature of my MacBook while I'm using it. (I don't bother bringing it to the office because I never actually put my MacBook on my lap there.) It takes hours and hours to fully phase change to a liquid and even after it "maxes out" on the heat it can absorb I still see a slight improvement in operating temperatures.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10804&cs_id=1080402&p_id=5224&seq=1&format=2

Good luck avoiding thigh burns!

Tom Morrisey

Reaction score
Hey I don't feel so bad now. I thought mine was about to explode because it was getting into the low 80's (Celsius) while doing a 10 man raid in World of Warcraft. Whew, that's a load off!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.