• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD + Toast

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I have a quick question for the gurus... :)

I have iDVD 5 and Roxio Toast.

Currently I have some 4.7 GB DVD-R discs. I want to use iMovie and iDVD to make a disc with some movies and stuff to use on a set-top DVD player.

My iDVD project is more than 4.7 GB when I am done and ready to burn it. Can I take iDVD and instead of burning to a DVD, make it create the VIDEO_TS folder and put files in that on the Hard drive?

Then, I want to use Toast to compress the files, so they can fit on the 4.7 GB discs I have. So basically I can fit a full 9.4 GB worth of movies onto a 4.7 GB disc. I don't know if Toast can do this or if I need to get Popcorn to do it, or if it's even possible to do this.

What do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
In iDVD you can Save as a Disc Image which will do all of the rendering for DVD format and save it as a disc image. You can open up the image and it will have a VIEDO_TS folder which you can burn in toast (I don't think it can shrink it down). Only thing i am not sure on is whether or not iDVD will create a disc image of a project bigger than 4.7gb

E

EvoMac

If iDvd will encode over 4.7 (I think that it should considering Apple now has dual layer dvd's). To shrink it down, couldn't you use MactheRipper to shrink it to fit on a standard dvd-r.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
trpnmonkey41 said:
In iDVD you can Save as a Disc Image which will do all of the rendering for DVD format and save it as a disc image. You can open up the image and it will have a VIEDO_TS folder which you can burn in toast (I don't think it can shrink it down). Only thing i am not sure on is whether or not iDVD will create a disc image of a project bigger than 4.7gb

That is the problem so far that I am having. My project is a bit larger than the 4.7 max and IDVD refuses to even make the Disk Image. Says the project is too large. If I could make the image, I could use DVD2oneX and shrink it down to fit the DVD. I wonder if there is a way I am missing? So far nothing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.