airport scanning constantly

Reaction score
Does any one have a problem with airport constantly searching for a wireless
location when your already connected to a wireless network. It seems this slows down wireless speed, and often cannot load a page even though airport says connected. I am running snow leopard on a 1 month old macbook pro 13.
I am also a new mac user and cant seem to figure out if this is how it is suppose to behave. If anybody knows a solution it would take a load off my mind. On a lighter note I think this machine is great.

C

chas_m

Actually the airport card only scans for networks when you click on the icon in the menubar (or access some widget or utility that does the same thing). This is no different that the finder updating the contents of the hard drive when you double-click on it.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So my problem is not the airport card maybe the router.
It is only scanning because I am clicking the icon.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I thought the same as you for a long time because everytime I'd click on it there it was scanning... yet again.

Your problem could be any number of things... distance from router, being upstairs or downstairs from the router, using WEP instead of WPA encryption, or even the individual site is having problems at the moment you try to access it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR3
I am having a similar problem. About every 20 minutes my internet connection drops for a few seconds until it reconnects. I'm not sure if it is the router or airport rescanning, but it is making me angry.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not sure what this has to do with MacWorld 2010, thread moved to more appropriate forum.

C

chas_m

I am having a similar problem. About every 20 minutes my internet connection drops for a few seconds until it reconnects. I'm not sure if it is the router or airport rescanning, but it is making me angry.

IME, this is usually a sign of a bad router. Replace the router, preferably with an Airport (which again IME *never* does this).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.