Used space doulbed after Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I only had my MBP for 3 months. All my stuff takes up about 27 GB. I used TMachine restore last week. After the restore my used space doubled to 54GB. I've added up all the folders under my 'Macintosh HD Hitachi' and it summed up to about 27GB. So where did the other 27GB came from and how do I find where it is...Right now it's not showing up on the Finder

I open up Onyx. Under volume to verify. There are 2: 'Macintosh HD Hitachi' and 'Macintosh HD Hitachi 1' The Hitachi 1 is not under Finder.

I tried to select the 'Hitachi 1' to verify and got an error message. Can't remember what it was.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
You've probably got a couple folders that need to be excluded from your TM backup.

If you're using Parallels/Fusion, you need to exclude it. If you're using Aperture, you need to exclude the Aperture Library. If you're using Entourage, you need to exclude your Microsoft Identities folder.

If you do any sort of video editing, or manipulation of large files, you need to exclude the folder that contains them while they are works in progress.

Any time you make even a slight change to a large file, TM backs up an additional copy of that file. All of the above store large amounts of data in single files. Add a photo to Aperture and TM makes a copy of your entire Library. Receive an email and TM makes a copy of every email and attachment you have stored in Entourage.

Microsoft has stated that they will resolve the Entourage/TM issue in the next release of Office. The fact that Apple's TM and Apple's Aperture are incompatible is just plain stupid.

C

chas_m

I only had my MBP for 3 months. All my stuff takes up about 27 GB. I used TMachine restore last week. After the restore my used space doubled to 54GB. I've added up all the folders under my 'Macintosh HD Hitachi' and it summed up to about 27GB. So where did the other 27GB came from and how do I find where it is...Right now it's not showing up on the Finder

I open up Onyx. Under volume to verify. There are 2: 'Macintosh HD Hitachi' and 'Macintosh HD Hitachi 1' The Hitachi 1 is not under Finder.

I tried to select the 'Hitachi 1' to verify and got an error message. Can't remember what it was.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Here's what happened: you restored your entire backup to a drive that already had information on it. Restoration of this sort is meant to be done on a drive that has been erased.

So, to protect your original data, TM duplicated your hard drive in the "new" volume "Macintosh HD Hitachi 1."

Delete that volume from your Volumes folder, and the extra 27GB will disappear along with it.

OP
quin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Here's what happened: you restored your entire backup to a drive that already had information on it. Restoration of this sort is meant to be done on a drive that has been erased.

So, to protect your original data, TM duplicated your hard drive in the "new" volume "Macintosh HD Hitachi 1."

Delete that volume from your Volumes folder, and the extra 27GB will disappear along with it.

OK, this is my suspicion too. But I don't see the 'Hitachi 1' anywhere on the Finder or its sidebar in order to manipulate and/or delete. So give me an idea where to look. I've tried everywhere that I can think of.

My only other explanation with my limited knowledge is that perhaps the OS 'designated' that extra doubled space (27GB) to give itself room to move and manipulate files if I ever do another restore. I'm aware I maybe totally off on this.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.