Time Machine is Ignoring My Excluded Items

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook Pro 13'' 2.26GHz 4GB RAM 320GB 7200RPM HDD
Hi all, ive tried searching all over for a solution, but have come up empty.

I have a 10mth old MBP. Ive been using time machine for just as long. However, i recently changed the external HD that im using for my time machine backups.

My MBP uses about 130GB of space. The folders that i am excluding take up about 50GB. This means i should only be backing up 80GB of info onto my external HD using Time Machine. Even under the Time Machine Preferences, the estimated space says ~80GB.

However, when i start the backup, initially it say 0MB of 69GB. And then when it reaches 69GB, the amount just increases. e.g. 72.3GB of 72.3GB. 79.25GB of 79.25GB. And it just keeps going till 80+ 90GB. For some reason, it is ignoring the excluded command.

Ive tried reformating my external HD as well as disabling time machine and doing everything from scratch. But it still ignores my Excluded items.

Help!!!!!!!!

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
didnt get much help the first time round. but i figured out a way to get it to work.

so my first backup was perfect. the thing is. i tried to backup again yesterday. and NOW it included my excluded items. its really weird. ive used time machine for so long, and its never given me problems.

if it makes any difference, im using an internal hard-drive housed in an enclosure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Haha, hey me too. :) My old 160GB G5 boot drive is my current time machine backup drive for my macbook. I don't have that issue... it doesn't copy my excluded items, anyway. The backup filesize does increase sometimes as I download more stuff when I'm on... So your problem is weird.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea i know. ive formatted the drive multiple times, reset time machine multiple times. the last backup, i thought it finally solved the problem. but it happened again on the second backup. its really weird.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.