why is web browsing so slow in Leopard, compared to linux and windows

Reaction score
hello everyone,

this is my first post in the mac forums....

i am wondering how to speed up web browsing in OSX. recently my dad has purchased a mac, and like me, he dislikes the slow web-browsing, and i would like to improve the situation if possible. i will also add that my iMac is just as slow, and we do not use the same ISP, or even live in the same area....we both ahve high-speed connections

in comparison to Windows or Linux, MacOSX's web browsing is somewhat of a joke.
it seems there is a bottle neck, not related to the choice of browser. i am pretty sure i know exactly where the bottle neck is:

in linux to get super-fast web-browsing, you must create a "persistent DNS cache".

so when you are clicking onto a website, it pretty much loads instantly. in OSX this is not the case, regardless of whatever browser you are using: Safari, firefox, opera, etc.
instead OSX seems to hang and takes a little while to deal with DNS...
it would seem to me while apple makes some of the best software out there, even one of the best platforms out there, web-browsing is an area that Apple has seriously
fallen short on....

so my question is, is there a way to improve OSX's performance on the WEB???

i am using Leopard 10.5.8, i am extremely comfortable with the command line and Unix in general(i also use FreeBSD) and if there is a way to improve my web-browsing i would love to know. i have "googled" around and found ways to do this in panther and tiger but not Leopard.

Being as i use several OS's, i almost never waste my time surfing the net with my iMAC, because compared to linux(my primary OS) it is a slow waste of time,
but i would love to fix this.

any ideas???

ts9

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
so my question is, is there a way to improve OSX's performance on the WEB???

One way is to switch your ISP DNS to OpenDNS.

System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced -> DNS

Enter the Primary and Secondary DNS addresses. You may also have to do the same thing in your router setup menu.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.