Transferring photos from memory card

Reaction score
Hi, Group.

First off let me tell you that I am recent Mac convert and so I am still finding my feet. I think I will eventually be able to do what I want to with iPhoto but I'm not there yet. :)

So I have a Canon 40D and on my PC I used to use ZoomBrowser to transfer all my images to my computer. What I liked about that application was that it copied all the photos that were taken on the same day into a folder with that date. I'm now using the Mac version of ZoomBrowser which is called ImageBrowser but it just copies all the files into one destination folder so I need to move the files manually which can be a chore when you have a LOT of photos. So my questions are:
1. does anyone else use ImageBrowser and can you tell me if it can do what I want? I looked through the preferences and didn't see an option. It WILL save photos to a sub-folder with the Current Date but that's not what I want.
2. is there any other non-Canon software that will do this for me

My assumption is that the right thing for me to do is to use iPhoto but I have no experience with it right now and I'm just looking for a quick fix before I immerse myself into something new.

Cheers, Max

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
I have a 40D and 5D mark II. I personally use a card reader and just drag the file onto my desktop, rename it to the date scheme I use, then move it to where ever i want, including backing it up.

But If i connected the camera to the computer, EOS Utility would do what you want. I creates a new sub folder using the date as the name.

OP
H
Reaction score
Nones body

Thanks, Tom. You have more patience than I do. :) I will look into EOS Utility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or am i? haha
I've notice that uploading through a card reader is faster then through the camera.

Let me know if you can get EOS Utility and if it solves your problem.

C

chas_m

I should point out that iPhoto itself does *exactly* what the OP desires (groups photos together in "events" based on when they were taken) by default, though of course it uses its own mandatory filing system (which is excellent, but rubs some people the wrong way).

There are other programs that can do this as well. Ahem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True but;
I wonder if iPhoto display raw files?
I know you can see iPhoto photos in aperture, but i wonder if you can send photos to Photoshop.

OP
H
Reaction score
I figured iPhoto would do what I wanted but the truth of the matter is I wanted to do something reliably tonight. My wife wanted me to copy her photos before she deletes them and the primary concern was just getting them onto the HDD. Now that I have them backed up (just copied them in Finder) I will investigate iPhoto when I have more time. I used Finder because I noticed that ImageBrowser wiped out the Created and Modified date and that was no good. At least Finder leaves that data intact.

iPhoto, here I come. :)

C

chas_m

True but;
I wonder if iPhoto display raw files?

Yes. RAW is not a single format, sadly; there are many proprietary types of RAW, but yes iPhoto (among others) reads most RAW format files.

I know you can see iPhoto photos in aperture, but i wonder if you can send photos to Photoshop.

Again, yes. You can set Photoshop as your "external editor" in iPhoto, which gives you the option of "passing" photos in iPhoto to Photoshop by just double-clicking them, then when the modifications are done the photo is "updated" in iPhoto. It's pretty slick (and you can still edit in iPhoto if you want to).

C

chas_m

I figured iPhoto would do what I wanted but the truth of the matter is I wanted to do something reliably tonight.

I'm not clear on why you think iPhoto would not have been "reliable" for this. You don't have to master it just to import a few photos.

Now that I have them backed up (just copied them in Finder) I will investigate iPhoto when I have more time.

Good plan. I also suggest you have a look at this, but iPhoto is something you ought to investigate and learn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yes. RAW is not a single format, sadly; there are many proprietary types of RAW, but yes iPhoto (among others) reads most RAW format files.

Again, yes. You can set Photoshop as your "external editor" in iPhoto, which gives you the option of "passing" photos in iPhoto to Photoshop by just double-clicking them, then when the modifications are done the photo is "updated" in iPhoto. It's pretty slick (and you can still edit in iPhoto if you want to).
Sweet! I've always used bridge to browse/proof through images. I have Lightroom2, but never really got into it. Alot of people swear by it.

Yea, each camera manufacture and for the most part each camera; has there own raw file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.