To all Iphone owners

Reaction score
I live In Michigan's Upper Peninsula and looked into getting a 3G Iphone. That was until I was quoted a min monthly price of $130 a month thru AT&T! I have Internet at home and am able to pick up free wifi around town on my 2G Touch. Why would I pay for an additional IP? Can some one explain?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know. Why would you?

C

chas_m

You've omitted a lot of important detail that would get you a better answer. I suspect you also omitted a lot of important detail when you asked AT&T about this.

A 3G iPhone bought from AT&T requires a data plan, separate of your home wifi. The data portion of the plan appears to cost $30/month, regardless of the other details of your plan. Voice portions start at $30/month for a total of $60 a month, not $130. It sounds to me as if you "require" a lot more minutes/texts/extras than the minimum.

That's the deal with a smartphone. It costs more to own and operate than a regular cell phone.

It's possible to buy a used iPhone and avoid the requirement of a 3G plan, which would save you some money if you have constant access to wifi. I don't live in the US anymore so I'm not sure of the details, but I'd recommend caution when buying used.

OP
M
Reaction score
Clarification

After the price of the phone, $130 is the cheapest per month. Bare bones. No extras! This can't be right. How can Iphone users afford this calling plan! My Blackberry is only $89 no extras per month. ( My wife freaked )
I'm going back to AT&T and talking to the store manager. What do the rest of you pay per month? What features what options? Just curious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Again, you're not providing us with details. Is this a single or a family plan? How many minutes per month? Does that $130 include texting?

Like chas stated above, the absolute minimum you can get away with is $60 a month. I just checked AT&T's website and I don't see how you can even get up to $130 a month. Unlimited calling is $70, iPhone data plan is $30, and unlimited messaging is $20, for a total of $120. The only way I can see you getting up to $130 is if you add in things like AT&T Navigator, Roadside Assistance, or VoiceDial.

Also, you don't have to purchase through AT&T, you can just walk into an Apple Store, buy an iPhone, and create a new plan with the options you want, ranging from a bare bones $60 to $120 for unlimited everything, or you can do the same thing online at either the AT&T or Apple website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It's possible to buy a used iPhone and avoid the requirement of a 3G plan, which would save you some money if you have constant access to wifi. I don't live in the US anymore so I'm not sure of the details, but I'd recommend caution when buying used.

AT&T is going to automatically add the iPhone data package to the phone. No way around it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
AT&T is going to automatically add the iPhone data package to the phone. No way around it.

Unless you get it third-party and shove your old SIM into it... assuming you can get the little tray out.

Anyway, my iPhone (16GB 3GS) is only around $85 a month. My husband and I share a family plan with my parents and little sister. I suggest looking into a shared plan for your wife and yourself. You'll get a large-ish pool of minutes to share, as well as rollover minutes that don't expire. That means that you don't lose what you don't use.

Sounds like a funky rappable product slogan to me!

C

chas_m

On a new phone, yes. On an old out-of-contract phone, no.

I know this because I have an iPhone on a US plan that does not include data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
On a new phone, yes. On an old out-of-contract phone, no.

I know this because I have an iPhone on a US plan that does not include data.

They don't force you to get a dataplan ? It's strictly wifi only?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would double check those prices tax and all I pay 103.00 a month for my iPhone and
wifes Razor with no texting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Interesting chas_m about you not having data. AT&T should automatically add a data plan to the account. I purchased a att BB from eBay and the only way for me to activate it on the account was to have the data plan as well. I got a txt saying that it would be added automatically. I work for a Verizon indirect and we are the same exact way.

Good for you though! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.