FTP in Safari

Reaction score
Hi there.
I'm in a band, and my guitarist has recently set up an FTP server-type thing so we can all easily upload and download recordings of riffs, Guitar Pro files, etc.
The problem is, when I put the link for the server in Safari's address bar, It:

1. Opens Connect To Server
2. Connects
3. Asks for name and password
4. I get a warning saying "Finder cannot complete the operation 'cause some data in (server name) could not be written or read."
(Error code -36)

I've successfully used Firefox to get on the server. There's no reason why Safari shouldn't be able to. :p
And I would MUCH prefer if I didn't have to download an FTP program.
Any tips?

C

chas_m

I believe the reason for this is because Safari's "ftp://" command mounts sites as READ-ONLY.

Yes, that's stupid. No, I don't know why it does that.

Just use FF for this purpose, or use a "real" FTP program.

Reaction score
Safari, and all other internet browsers, are horrible at FTP.

I would recommend downloading an FTP client. There are some really great ones that are free, small, and simple. When I used one, I had a PC and used Winscp - I'm not sure if they are available for Macs or have Mac compatibility though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have always much preferred a real FTP client. For the Mac a good Free client is Cyberduck. Many here at Mac Forums use it.

I prefer Transmit myself but it's a pay client.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Cyberduck is good (use it extensively here). Just got Flow and haven't tried it much but it looks promising.

You're really not going to get a good FTP experience with a browser as others have mentioned. An FTP client really is the way to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.