• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

is HP's slate an iPad killer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Dont you just love how with just marketing alone Apple has made it to the top of the "tablet" pile and has everyone gunning for them ?
now we have :1.iPod killers
2.iPhone killers
3. and now iPad killers

Its lonely at the top !

Clay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Great write up. :Smirk:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
But it will "FLASH" so it will win! :D

HTML5 is so much better though!

Windows 3.1 support? What about Atari Sparta Dos support for me? I have 1000's of apps. How about Amiga OS and Atari ST support also? I still have all my apps for those also. :D

Slate

Sounds like it will be quite heavy being a Slate and all! :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I still have a shelf full of Win 3.1, 95, 98 & ME games I'll get to play on it.

Gonna have to get me one of those.

C

chas_m

Dont you just love how with just marketing alone Apple has made it to the top of the "tablet" pile and has everyone gunning for them ?
now we have :1.iPod killers
2.iPhone killers
3. and now iPad killers

Its lonely at the top !

Clay

Yes, how many of the so-called "iPod killers" and "iPhone killers" have actually accomplished that mission? Oh that's right NONE.

I'm sure the Slate fills a niche for some people better than the iPad does, and that's fine. But I think the people who identify themselves in that market suffer from "Linux Syndrome," ie imagining themselves to be a VASTLY larger market than they actually are. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Good Lord. Have these even been released yet?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Good Lord. Have these even been released yet?

Nope! :D

Neither has the iPad yet people run it down like they have owned one and used one and know exactly what it does and how it works. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
The minute anyone comes up with an Apple-product-X-killer, that means that Apple's won.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I'm not saying this thing is a killer. But the iPad is an over sized iPod touch and no one wants to admit it. I was impressed at first but have since lost interest what's revolutionary about it?? What does it do (besides a large screen) that an iPhone or iPod touch don't already do?

C

chas_m

what's revolutionary about it?? What does it do (besides a large screen) that an iPhone or iPod touch don't already do?

If you don't "get" what the iPad is about, little I say here will likely make a difference, but perhaps the words of others will help you to understand that the iPad is *indeed* more than "just a big iPod Touch":

Here's a good starting point: someone who has ACTUALLY USED AN IPAD: Hands-on with the Apple iPad – it does make sense :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Andy Ihnatko

And another such report (with pics and video) from AppleInsider:
AppleInsider | Hands on with Apple's iPad (with videos and photos)

Next, I think it's important to look at the iPad as part of a bigger picture:
The iPad's future shock | Tablets | iPhone Central | Macworld

In addition to that very good article, here's another "meta-thinking" essay:
stevenf.com - I need to talk to you about computers. I?ve been...

Another signal that perhaps you are overlooking something comes from the plethora of developer "buzz" about the iPad, starting at the keynote and spreading particularly among publishers:
Publishers and Developers Talk iPad -- Mighty Industry Morphin' Time? | Mac|Life

And finally here's a longer essay on my own initial impressions and how the machine affects both me and the many people I teach computers to:
The iPad — The ?Goldilocks? Computer?

In particular (should you read this), pay attention to the last paragraphs.

I'd be interested to hear your revised opinion after polishing off the above articles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
If you don't "get" what the iPad is about, little I say here will likely make a difference, but perhaps the words of others will help you to understand that the iPad is *indeed* more than "just a big iPod Touch":

Here's a good starting point: someone who has ACTUALLY USED AN IPAD: Hands-on with the Apple iPad – it does make sense :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Andy Ihnatko

And another such report (with pics and video) from AppleInsider:
AppleInsider | Hands on with Apple's iPad (with videos and photos)

Next, I think it's important to look at the iPad as part of a bigger picture:
The iPad's future shock | Tablets | iPhone Central | Macworld

In addition to that very good article, here's another "meta-thinking" essay:
stevenf.com - I need to talk to you about computers. I?ve been...

Another signal that perhaps you are overlooking something comes from the plethora of developer "buzz" about the iPad, starting at the keynote and spreading particularly among publishers:
Publishers and Developers Talk iPad -- Mighty Industry Morphin' Time? | Mac|Life

And finally here's a longer essay on my own initial impressions and how the machine affects both me and the many people I teach computers to:
The iPad — The ?Goldilocks? Computer?

In particular (should you read this), pay attention to the last paragraphs.

I'd be interested to hear your revised opinion after polishing off the above articles.

Just as many article like these, There are just many against it.
One thing the above articles have in common are it's comparison to the original iPod back in 2001,But that was 2001 and people want something more like what they saw at Jan 2007 keynote,Something revolutionary.
Hardwise the iPad is not impressive, 1Ghz processor?? There already putting these in phones. No camera,no flash (I know I know but guess what most of the internet is powered by flash, It's still kind of important) No multitasking,No external ports. Hey it's a nice device,But it's not revolutionary it's nothing like the iPhone when it was announced.

But hey it hasn't been released yet, Most people haven't even touched it yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'm not saying this thing is a killer. But the iPad is an over sized iPod touch and no one wants to admit it.

That is my impression of it as well. I will say, however, that I will look again when v2.0 comes out (at a September iPod event perhaps?) and see what's new. A few "common" features added to it might change my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is my impression of it as well. I will say, however, that I will look again when v2.0 comes out (at a September iPod event perhaps?) and see what's new. A few "common" features added to it might change my opinion.

Another good point to be taken into consideration, This is a 1st generation device.

C

chas_m

Just as many article like these, There are just many against it.

I get the distinct impression that you did not *actually read* the articles linked. Most of them are not "pro-iPad," they are looking at larger issues.

Sigh.

One thing the above articles have in common are it's comparison to the original iPod back in 2001,But that was 2001

So? This "argument" makes no sense. There were already a number of MP3 players on the market when the iPod appeared, just as there are already tablet computers on the market right now (even Mac ones if you really wanted them -- which apparently nobody here does!). The criticism of the iPod's perceived "shortcomings" compared to its competitors was withering -- and, ultimately, proven wrong.

The iPad enters the market with exactly the same circumstances as the iPod did (and iPhone -- let's not forget how ludicrous the idea was that "the masses" would go for expensive smartphones was waaaay back in 2007), surrounded by "competitors" that would appear to offer "more" if you don't "get" the device. I (and the illustrious authors I quoted, all of which have a lot more experience with this than you I would suggest) all feel this is a replay of 2001 and 2007. Given Apple's track record with this, particularly, all they (and I) are suggesting is that you might be missing something in your assessment.

Hardwise the iPad is not impressive, 1Ghz processor??

It's quotes like this that convince me you just don't understand the product. It's not ABOUT speed per se; its about doing the tasks it DOES do *incredibly enjoyably.*

My iPhone (one of the original ones) has a processor speed of 412Mhz with 128MB of working RAM. Pathetic specs by today's standards.

Yet I have *no* complaints regarding its speed doing everything I do with it, and neither do the millions of people who made it the #1 smartphone in the world in less than two years. How can this be, by your logic?

Hey it's a nice device,But it's not revolutionary it's nothing like the iPhone when it was announced.

Quite the contrary, it is EXACTLY like when the iPhone was announced.

Most people haven't even touched it yet.

That's *precisely* why the first two articles I linked to are from people who HAVE used it for an extended period of time.

Which you apparently didn't read ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I can understand someone using a product and either liking it or not but to put it down
when it has not been available to the public yet makes no sense. As one of my friends
said a lot of people will probably change their mind when they actually can get a hands on.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the whole "It's just a 1Ghz Processor" quote,

The Netbook is just a 1.6Ghz ATOM CPU. First thing you can never go by Numbers. Back in the day the AMD 64 at 1.8-2.0Ghz was smoking a 3+ Ghz Pentium 4 in every test on Anandtech. You can not compare the same numbers with different architectures. My netbook with 1.6 Intel Atom drags at things it claims to do that the iPad will not do. Windows 7 helped a bit actually but still its way underpowered. It's running a FULL DESKTOP windows and not a stripped down mobile OS like the iPad is.

The 1Ghz CPU in the iPad from everything I have so far seen seems smoother than any Netbook I have messed with or owned.

If they make a RJ45 dongle like they are doing with a USB port and Card Reader, It will completely replace my netbook on my network troubleshooting calls. I take the netbook now because it's so small but the iPad would be even nicer and the screen in every demo I have seen looks great.

I actually have used my iPhone with Safari to change router settings (as long as the customer had WiFi Enabled) and it did just fine, but the screen for my eyes is a pain. Something the iPad will solve for sure. I got some interesting looks though when I was using the iPhone to set up their routers! :D

Just a thought anyway. AGAIN, lets wait till people get their hands on the iPad before we pass total judgement on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I get the distinct impression that you did not *actually read* the articles linked. Most of them are not "pro-iPad," they are looking at larger issues.

Sigh.

So? This "argument" makes no sense. There were already a number of MP3 players on the market when the iPod appeared, just as there are already tablet computers on the market right now (even Mac ones if you really wanted them -- which apparently nobody here does!). The criticism of the iPod's perceived "shortcomings" compared to its competitors was withering -- and, ultimately, proven wrong.

The iPad enters the market with exactly the same circumstances as the iPod did (and iPhone -- let's not forget how ludicrous the idea was that "the masses" would go for expensive smartphones was waaaay back in 2007), surrounded by "competitors" that would appear to offer "more" if you don't "get" the device. I (and the illustrious authors I quoted, all of which have a lot more experience with this than you I would suggest) all feel this is a replay of 2001 and 2007. Given Apple's track record with this, particularly, all they (and I) are suggesting is that you might be missing something in your assessment.

It's quotes like this that convince me you just don't understand the product. It's not ABOUT speed per se; its about doing the tasks it DOES do *incredibly enjoyably.*

My iPhone (one of the original ones) has a processor speed of 412Mhz with 128MB of working RAM. Pathetic specs by today's standards.

Yet I have *no* complaints regarding its speed doing everything I do with it, and neither do the millions of people who made it the #1 smartphone in the world in less than two years. How can this be, by your logic?

Quite the contrary, it is EXACTLY like when the iPhone was announced.

That's *precisely* why the first two articles I linked to are from people who HAVE used it for an extended period of time.

Which you apparently didn't read ...

Maybe I don't *understand* like you said, But you know what I want multitasking and a usb port. Sure the 1Ghz processor will get the job done when you can only run one app at a time. I wasn't expecting a full version of OSX on a tablet, It's the hardware.
No camera ?? $200 Netbook has a camera Instead they will accessorize us to death it with dongles,connectors and god knows what else.

Just like the original iPhone it will take a third party to hack & mod this thing to make it enjoyable for people like *me*.There is a lot of people like *me* out there.Don't get me wrong I know there is a lot of people like you who are perfectly happy with it (iPad)(iPhone)...etc Who helped make it the #1 smartphone in the world.

Until we all get one in our hands we should all reserve Judgement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.