Macbook Air and Coolbook

Reaction score
I recently stumbled across Coolbook which supposedly cools your macbook by undervolting. I found this quite useful but theres only one problem. I have no idea how to work it. I've found some "working" configurations online for older models of the macbook air, but nothing for mine (2.3GHz). Does anyone either have a working configuration they could recommend to me or simply tell me how to use this program? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The last I heard about CoolBook was that it is not compatible with Snow Leopard 10.6.2. Supposedly the author was going to release an update but that was back around November 2009. If you're using a release of OS X prior to 10.6.2 then you should be OK.

About configurations.... you might want to check on the Apple User forums by searching for CoolBook. Last I looked there were many posts and responses regarding it.

Regards.

C

chas_m

I am endlessly fascinated by the delusion that a mac needs "help" cooling itself, as though Apple's engineers did not properly design this aspect of the computer.

Reaction score
I am endlessly fascinated by the delusion that a mac needs "help" cooling itself, as though Apple's engineers did not properly design this aspect of the computer.

In the OP's defense, the aluminum MacBook does "feel" warmer. This is probably due to the one-piece solid construction and its ability to transfer heat much more efficiently. I would assume the entire case acted like a huge heatsink.

OP
J
Reaction score
I have a couple games on here like GTA San Andreas that run it a little hot. I can easily deal with it, but it would be nice to have it a little cooler seeing as how it will help in the long run and also I tend to use it on my lap or in bed when not on my desk so ventilation is pretty much blocked. If I can get it cooler, why not? If not then no big deal.

Also, seeing as how Coolbook doesn't seem to work with Mac OSX, is there an alternative software solution that will?

And Chas, your post seems to contradict itself... perhaps I am misreading it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Apple Portables: Operating temperature
chas_m's post doesn't contradict itself, so you must have misread it!
As for lasting longer, you have nothing to concern yourself about as far as the operating temp of Apple portables, as Apple has thought of that, and they will shut down to protect the logic board from damage before they get "too hot".
Undervolting, in any way, including using a software like coolbook, you have more chance of damaging your Mac than you do otherwise.
Intels run hot, Mac has safeguards in place, and if you go blocking your ventiliation, or using your Mac on soft smuggling surfaces, and to undervolt to try to counteract this, that is your choice, even if not the best choice, still your choice.
The wisest investment would be a stable table (cushion lap table), a clipboard which you can take the clamp off (roughly $5 from any office suppliers), a chopping block, etc if you are going to use it on your lap for extended periods!
This would be protecting your investment!

C

chas_m

I have a couple games on here like GTA San Andreas that run it a little hot. I can easily deal with it, but it would be nice to have it a little cooler seeing as how it will help in the long run and also I tend to use it on my lap or in bed when not on my desk so ventilation is pretty much blocked.

1. Apple deliberately does not refer to its portables as "laptops" for precisely this reason. You are not supposed to use it on your lap (particularly if you're a man if you get my drift and I think you do!):
"Do not leave the bottom of your MacBook Pro in contact with your lap or any surface of your body for extended periods. Prolonged contact with your body could cause discomfort and potentially a burn"

2. By blocking the vent, you are essentially killing your machine. It's none of my concern if you wish to do that, but considering the cost of replacement I would suggest you use a lap tray or "bed desk" type item to protect your machine, like this:
lap-desk-and-goodie-basket.jpg

(there's a cushion underneath it you see)

OP
J
Reaction score
Alright. So we've decided I shouldn't make my "portable" hotter than necessary by placing it in inappropriate places ie. my lap or in bed and shortening the lifespan... which was stated earlier. Fortunately I am completely aware of what I am doing to my 18 hundred dollar paper of a computer. UNfortunately, I have received little information to aid in my original inquiry and thank you to those who took the care to stay on topic.

So lets try again.

I use my Macbook Air on my glass desk slightly elevated on a book. I run some games and videos that cause my portable to run hot. Is there an alternative to Coolbook (since it apparently does not work with Snow Leopard) that I can use to help reduce the heat my portable produces?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I use my Macbook Air on my glass desk slightly elevated on a book. I run some games and videos that cause my portable to run hot. Is there an alternative to Coolbook (since it apparently does not work with Snow Leopard) that I can use to help reduce the heat my portable produces?

You can give SMCFanControl a try if you like. It's an application which can set your fans to spin faster (higher RPM) and thereby blow more air on the CPU. Some folks swear by it.

There are Pro and Con to using it. But you seem to know what you're doing and it might just be what you're looking for.

BTW, someone stated in this thread that lowing the core voltage could possibly harm your CPU. I've been in electronic repair for over 20 years and computer repair (mainframes, etc) for that long also, and have never seen a case of under voltage harming an electronic component, let alone a CPU.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
That was me, and I meant if the person doesn't know what they are doing and undervolt too much... there will be instability in the way of hangs and crashes, which really isn't desirable or good for the longevity of any computer.
As for the developers of the hardware, I believe that they knew just what they were doing, and that everything is setup to run at optimum performance. When you have a good piece of machinery, why mess with it?
Right now I sit here with my Mac on my lap, while typing this, and yes it is nice and toasty warm, and when I am done, it's going back onto the table (which won't be long).
When running anything that get's it hot enough to fry an egg on, that is when my homemade laptop stand comes in, and has served me well.
I have SMC, but only to view my temps in my menu bar, with the fan speed set at default (Mac Default).
2+yrs of smooth sailing with it running hot when it does, which is already longer than most windows laptops :)

OP
J
Reaction score
You can give SMCFanControl a try if you like. It's an application which can set your fans to spin faster (higher RPM) and thereby blow more air on the CPU. Some folks swear by it.

There are Pro and Con to using it. But you seem to know what you're doing and it might just be what you're looking for.

BTW, someone stated in this thread that lowing the core voltage could possibly harm your CPU. I've been in electronic repair for over 20 years and computer repair (mainframes, etc) for that long also, and have never seen a case of under voltage harming an electronic component, let alone a CPU.

Regards.

Thank you. I believe this is as close to improved cooling as I'll get for the time being. Thanks to everyone who submitted their insight.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi 6String:

Right now I sit here with my Mac on my lap, while typing this, and yes it is nice and toasty warm, and when I am done, it's going back onto the table (which won't be long).

Be careful with that machine on your lap. You wouldn't want to stunt any future production of your family. :Mischievous:

And yes you're correct. While under voltage won't harm components, it can certainly make them unstable. We used to do that with the 9 track tape drives on an IBM mainframe. Drove the shift supervisor crazy until he finally figured out what we did. O:) No, I didn't get fired. :p

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL.... as if he could have possibly fired you for having fun at his expense? :p
and don't worry, I keep it lower on my lap closer to my knees with my legs on the couch when I do..... ultra relaxed with my coffee by my side on the table (too much info)
Hard life living in the sunshine (where the Mac is constantly hotter due to environment) recording music and teaching guitar for a living and couching it when I want, but someone's gotta do it.
Gives me plenty of time to get on here and speak out against tweaking such a good machine hehe
I'm forever amazed at all that goes into customizing menu, finder window, desktop icons, dock, application icons, and of course, the temp.
Kind of like getting a ferrari, putting on a body kit, changing the wheels, exhaust, tweaking the engine, and even one of those car bras for the bonnet... Each to their own I guess:Confused:

OP
J
Reaction score
The mac is infamous for its limited customizable interface/hardware. I've done little to it. Any tweaking and such goes into my custom PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.