Install windows 7 on Mac os with Parallel Desktop om External HDD

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I got New Macbook Pro and i bought Parallel Desktop 5 .
Now how can i install windows 7 on External HDD using PD5.

Any Idea.

Please Advise me

Ron

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't believe you can without some sort of hack. Windows has been designed by Microsoft to not install on a removable device. That has to do more with copy protection and activation and not the OS itself. However, there are hacks around that will allow Windows to be installed on a removable device. And I really don't know what effect if any using Parallels will have on it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2Ghz 4gb Ram 320Gb HDD
Its my understanding that you can place that Virtual Machine file on any drive. I use VMWare Fusion and i have my VM of Windows 7 on an external drive. Now granted it only works on this mac and this mac alone but it doesn't take up any of my onboard HDD.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, that will probably work but it would be slow. Windows without Fusion or Parallels will not install to an external drive.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Install windows 7 on Mac os with Parallel Desktop om External HDD Reply to Thread

Thanks Guys,
That what i though of the only reason i dont want to install Windows on Same HDD as mac os it will slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB Ram, 160GB
I'm running Windows 7 on Parallels on external drive

I've had my Mac about a year now and I'm running Windows 7 thru Parallels virtual drive on an external drive. It's a little slow loading, but nothing major and I have no problems using the software once it's up.

I would like to try to move to the jump drive and am trying to discover how to accomplish that.

If I can find my old instructions, I will post here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.