Software update problem

Reaction score
I'm having a mysterious issue with Software Update. It will say I have updates, then download, then fail to install, giving an error.

I'm running Os X 10.4.11 PPC. I've done the usual, such as repair disk permissions and repair the disk (there were no errors.)

I've tried downloading the upgrades as separate packages without using Software Update. They launch normally, but when I try to install, I get an error message again.

I checked the log on the last install, and it said something to the effect of, "Error when running preflight script," which apparently tells me nothing. I keep getting "error," but no explanation what that error might be.

This only seems to effect Apple installs, like iTunes, security updates, etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Go to the Apple web site and download OS X.4.11 Combo Updater and run that. Disconnect everything other than KB and mouse, including AV software if installed, run Repair Permissions and then drag the Combo Updater file download from the Downloads folder to the desktop, double click and let it run. Reboot ctake up to five minutes with several lots of chimes. Just be patient. Run Repair Permissions when concluded.

There is a combo updater for both PPC and Intel computers. Helps if you provide machine details. here is the PPC version:-

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx10411comboupdateppc.html

And here is the Intel version:-

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx10411updateintel.html

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but as with other system installs, the combo updater also errors out when it begins. The only message I get is, "There were errors installing the software." The failure is at the very beginning of the install, right off the bat.

The installer log shows this line: "Install failed: The following install step failed: run preflight script for Mac OS X Update Combined (PowerPC)"

Maybe the fault is with the "script" itself, whatever that is. I get the same error with other system elements I try to update.

OP
C
Reaction score
Alright, success.

I have a second hard drive on my G5 which also has OS X installed, so I booted up from there, ran the Combo Updater from drive B and applied it to drive A where my effected OS resides. I rebooted back to the original and now the updates work.

Thanks for pointing me to the combo updater. Overwriting the system with that was much preferable to doing a full archive and install with my install DVD. I really didn't want to do that if I didn't have to.

I can only assume there was something funky in the system folder that kept tripping up the updates, and the combo updater overwrote it.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
My pleasure. Stick with the forums they are a great place to learn more about our Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.