Macbook Pro 15inch - Strange charing issue

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just bought my first macbook off ebay, got it dirt cheap because of an issue, that has now baffled me!
I am a computer tech/engineer so don't need to speak in layman's to me!

The problem:
When the Mac is turned on and plugged in, it says there is no battery (when there is, have tried another test battery which is known to work and still the same)
and it DOESN'T charge.

When the mac is turned off/sleep it DOES charge, but theres no way of knowing the charge level because the mac always says there is no battery...

Also I have reformatted with Leopard AND Snow Leopard to no avail + the power reset (holding down some keys and turning Mac on, cant remember which ones...)
Any ideas?
Cable connecting Battery to logicboard possibly? Not got that far yet!

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Surely a computer tech would include specs? Apple made more than one model of MacBook and some did have a battery recognition problem, which has been known to be sorted under warranty. Have you tried resetting the SMC? Here for the Santa Rosa unit.

OP
S
Reaction score
Oops!
Specs:
Macbook Pro 15"
2.16ghz
C2D
120gb
2GB Ram

I have tried the SMC, but to no avail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try a 3 step sequence - extended Hardware test using Install disc, then do a SMC and then reset the PRAM. wait for third chime to be sure and then hope.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.