Dipping my toe with a g4 ibook

Reaction score
I have just bought a 2nd user ibook to see if I could live with mac (again)

Anyways, Its a g4 and I want to run the best os possible on it - so far I have found out I can't use the latest and greatest version as it requires the intel duel core cpu..so....

whats the next best thing and what would the system requirements be?

many thanks
Andy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't say which year model the iBook G4 was but if it was a 2005 model (was discontinued in May 2006) you can upgrade the OS to Leopard 10.5.8.

However, along with that I would advise maxing out the memory to 1.5 GB. The machine should already have 512 MB on the logic board which means you would need to add 1 GB.

You might also want to upgrade the hard drive while you're at it. Not an easy job on an iBook but doable.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
I have just bought a 2nd user ibook to see if I could live with mac (again)

Anyways, Its a g4 and I want to run the best os possible on it - so far I have found out I can't use the latest and greatest version as it requires the intel duel core cpu..so....

whats the next best thing and what would the system requirements be?

many thanks
Andy

I think 10.5.4 is the latest version that can run on the PowerPC???

can somebody confirm?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.