Desk Top Screen

Reaction score
A single purple vertical line has appeared on my screen, (line from history to the dock). I'm concerned it might be a pixel issue, particularly as this was followed by a selection of multi-coloured lines before a perfect picture formed on BBC iPlayer. Picture fine, single vertical line still remains !
Has anyone experienced this ? Any ideas or remedy ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before we can suggest something, you need to narrow down what's causing the vertical purple line. Attach another monitor or TV to your Mac. Does the purple line appear there also?

If it does, it may indicate a problem with the graphics processor. If it doesn't appear, that would indicate it's the internal monitor display that has the problem.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi

Connected TV/Monitor - NO purple line - Purple line still on iMac.

Many thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Thanks for making the test and posting back.

It appears your iMac display has developed a line of bad pixels or some other fault. Other than some sort of magnetic interference (large speakers in close proximity) I can't off hand think of anything else other than bad pixels which would cause that to happen.

If it is bad pixels, the only remedy is to replace the display. If your iMac is still under warranty or Apple care, contact Apple support or an Apple store near your home. Make an appointment with them to look at it.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.