No 2.4GHz option on Airport Extreme and no 'b'.

Reaction score
Couple of issues I'm hoping someone can shed some light on. First of all I don't have an option to select 2.4GHz. I need my iPhone and Mac to be able to talk to one another, but if the Mac is on the 5GHz they can't... I want the mac on the n speed, so i was told to use the 2.4GHz option and I get to say on n AND the iPhone on g can see the Mac...BUT I don't have a 2.4GHz option in the drop down. On the summary page it says something about 2.4GHz, but no options for it. Any ideas?

Second issue is I've set it to automatic and to "b/g/n" and I still can't connect to it with an old b only laptop that my father-in-law is using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Sounds like you have an Airport Extreme and not the newest with dual radios so in radio
mode select the top line 802.11n (802.11b/g compatible) and since you are trying to connect to the older 802.11b more than likely it will not like WPA so you might try WEP
which is less secure but easier to connect. Also note that if any of the radios are on a,b
and g then it will default to the lowest turn all those off and it will return to n.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Another option is to get an older g/b Airport Express plug that into the Extreme and use that network for iPhone and 11b laptop then set the Extreme Network to 5GHz for the Mac only.

OP
I
Reaction score
I think mine IS Dual

I don't have an option for WEP... WPA/WPA2 are my only options.

When i open up Airport Utility is says "AirPort Utility found an AirPort Extreme (Simultaneous Dual-Band)"

the model is A1301... see photos showing what my options are.

Screen shot 2010-03-10 at 10.01.22 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-03-10 at 10.02.03 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-03-10 at 10.02.20 AM.png

OP
I
Reaction score
what model do you have? that's WAY more options than what I get, obviously as you can see from my pics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thinking about it perhaps it is a function of country set here;

Click for full size

i have the 1 TB dual band model TC, but if yours is dual band it should be similar altho the selection of countries varies depending on where you bought your Extreme.

OP
I
Reaction score
nope... I'm set to the good ol' USofA. I bought it off eBay cuz I'm a needed to save a buck. Could there be a problem with it? I don't have any connectivity issues... it does seem a little flaky on it's signal strength, but for the most part it's been consistent. This is nuts!:Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am running out of guesses :\

OP
I
Reaction score
yea me too... :Confused: i guess i could always try the reset and see what happens... or maybe I'll call Apple... listen, thanks for all your efforts, I'll repost if I get it figured out in case anyone else experiences this issue. THANKS AGAIN!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
My apologies for dredging up an old thread, but I did a search and came upon it because I was having the same problem. Did a bit of Google searching and found this solution for the benefit of others, which I will summarize here (their links don't work, which is why I'm summarizing it):

"To get four more [Radio Mode] options (b/g/a only, without n), just hold down the Option key while clicking on the Radio Mode drop-down menu in Airport Utility's Wireless tab."

Actually, I found that using the simple, good 'ol Option key gave me not just four more options, but that same huge list of options that Collin posted! Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.