Word to Pages

Reaction score
Hi there

I have a MacBook Pro which has Microsoft Office:Mac installed and I want to take a document I have been working on from there to my iMac which has Pages but not word. I have tried to do this but when I attempt to open the file I get: "Import error the file format is invalid"

I tried saving the document as a PDF on my MacBook, but then I could only open it as a PDF or a JPEG/ BITMAP on my iMac, and so couldn't continue to work on it.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Pages to Word is definitely possible. I don't think the other way works without jumping through some hoops. You can do a SaveAs in Word and select Text Only as the file format. That should open with TextEdit. From there you can Select All and Paste it into a blank Pages file, and SaveAs whatever filename you choose.

The thing is that Word does not give you the option to save in Pages format. But, Pages lets you save in Word formats. Anybody know a better way?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Pages should be able to open both .doc and .docx files. It's not going to open a .xls file.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'ld reccommend installing Openoffice and using that. But, as an immediate work-around if you open your PDF in Preview you should be able to highlite and select the text and then copy and paste it into Pages. I've done this in the past when I couldn't get an eBook to cooperate with Stanza. Pages can export as a PDF also, as well as Word format.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Pages can save to *.DOC and can read *.DOC. Are you saving the Word documents as *.DOCX? I'm not sure Pages can read XML format? Save your Word document in *.RTF or *.DOC and then Pages will be able to open it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB
Just had this problem the other day. All it took was a quick Software Update to the current version of Pages (4.0.3). Fixed!

Ken

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.