Macbook 13" to mixer to external speakers

Reaction score
Hey,
Basically, i have the latest macbook, all the connections from my yamaha external active monitors to my alesis multimix 16 usb2.0 to my macbook are fine and i know this because i am able to record and play music through garageband through logic, however when i try to play anything outside of garageband or logic it will only play through the built in speakers.

I have tried setting it up through Audio/MIDI Setup through Utilities however my macbook doesn't seem to be picking my macbook to mixer to speaker connection, yes i have turned everything on (in the right order) and yes all the cables in correctly.

If anyone could help it would be very much appreciated

Cheers

Thomas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm
Just to make sure that I understand correctly what you are trying to accomplish. Everything works fine when you are running GB or Logic, but when you pull up say...iTunes, you get sound through your MB speakers rather than the externals as you would like. Correct?

Hopefully this helps: When you have the Alesis plugged in and turned on, go to your system preferences (dropbox that comes down from the apple logo) and select "Sound" from the hardware section. Once that comes up, you should see three clickable bars for Sound Effects, Output, and Input respectively. Click on output and you should see your device there to select as the output device for audio.

Once you've done this once, it should be the default for whenever the Alesis is hooked up, and the MB will automatically go back to the internal speakers whenever it is not.

If it is not showing up at all under your system preferences (or the above steps do not work for you), I would make sure that all of the latest drivers are installed and all that. Beyond that I run short of answers without being in front of your computer.

Hope that helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.