Macbook Pro HDD keeps beeping & freezing

Reaction score
Ok here's my problem. I've got a 17" Macbook Pro and it's almost a year old. Now the thing is this, recently I keep hearing a beep out of the HDD and for about 5 seconds the whole computer freezes. Now this wouldn't be a problem if it happened once in a while but it keeps happening lately...numerous times in an hour.

I used to think that it was because I was moving the computer around BUT this is a laptop and is supposed to be moved from time to time! It's not like I'm dragging it all over the city I take good care of this machine but this is starting to worry me. If it's like this now then what's to say that it's not going to get worse.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Run the Apple Hardware Test on your machine. It's possible it could be bad system memory which is causing the beeping and then freezing. Normally a bad hard drive does not beep before it freezes.

See the following LINK to learn how to use the AHT. Run the extended tests. Let us know the result.

(You'll need your original install DVD to run the test.)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
chscag is right. =-O Try it out.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok it took a while for me to do it but I did the hardware test (which took about 85 mins) and it said that everything is fine. BUT the beeping is still there and it seems to be getting worse! So no I can't watch movies or listen to music with it stalling every ten minutes for 5secs or so. It also effects me when I'm working on the net or any other program as it keeps interrupting my flow!

This is starting to really P**S me off and I love any advice that you may have. I'm still within my year warranty but it means I have to go to Belfast, I live in Dublin a 2.5hr drive away, to get Apple to have a look at it. I was thinking of getting Applecare anyway before the year runs out so should I just do that and then use the phone support?

Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I still think the problem may have something to do with system memory but I could well be wrong. You might try re-seating the modules before deciding to drive on in to Belfast.

As for purchasing Apple Care, that would certainly be OK, however, I don't believe phone support is going to solve the beeping and freezing problem. You'll probably have to take it on in or send it in where it can be troubleshot by Apple technicians.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.