Which email is best?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well since my previous post disappointed me about getting around pop mail for free...I am debating on switching email clients. Because I really want to use the Mail app feature on the dock. So which email client would be better and why? I am thinking between Hotmail and Gmail, I hear many good things about Gmail. And I had a problem with hotmail in the past about people not receiving email from me and vice versa. If there are others better than these two please let me know! Also, do you like the Mac Mail app? No bugs I guess, and is it more useful than going directly to your email page?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I run my Hotmail (.live) through the Mac Mail and dont have a problem what so ever. Mind you all i use it for is to receive and send mail, but my peoples always seem to get them and have had no complaints.
Dont know about Gmail as i want to stay away from gooooogle
But yea my .live mail works well and easy to set up.

And here is some help from  support to set it up :)

Configuring Mac Mail for pop3

Chers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
I have:

Gmail
Hotmail
Yahoo
Me.com (mobile me)
and my own personal websites email.

Gmail: My favorite, plus i use alot of other google applications (ex: Reader, wave, voice, search engine, homepage) which require a login anyway.

Yahoo: This is my crappy/spam email. When I'm signing up for something i dont care much about and i know they will send me news letters and spam, i use my yahoo email account. I only check this email account about once a week, and i simple use the webmail.

Hotmail: The only reason i have that is because of MSN/Live messenger, which i rarely use.

Me.com (mobile me): Love the Mobile Me service, but dont use the email account much. Maybe that will change, idk.

I only have 3 setup in mail.app; Gmail, me.com and my personal website mail. Gmail is SUPER easy to setup in mail.app, and it now defaults to iMap which is nice. iMap is a bit different then pop3, it actually communicates with the mail service and updates each source when ever there is a change made. So if you read the message on your mac, it will show as read when you login to gmail.com and vice-versa.

So hands down, i say Gmail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
iMap is a bit different then pop3, it actually communicates with the mail service and updates each source when ever there is a change made. So if you read the message on your mac, it will show as read when you login to gmail.com and vice-versa.

So hands down, i say Gmail

Thats what i dont like about hotmail ....... Good to know though ...
Thanks for the info

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup Yup, no problem.

I have my one Gmail email account setup on 2x Mac's + my iPhone. And when ever I read, write or send an email. It updates the 2 other devices. It's great.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Hmm...decisions decisions haha I just hate switching email ugh...I think I am leaning more towards Gmail though. So will it be hard to switch from yahoo to gmail? Like are there any significant differences between the two?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go create a new gmail account. It's free. If you dont like it, don't use it. But i see no reason why you wont like it.

Here is a picture i found online of what gmail looks like. It's basic and easy to use. You can change the themes if you like. It also has tasks and calendar built in. And if you have an iPhone, those sync up with your phone when you setup your gmail account.

gmail1_440x330.jpg

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I made an account haha and I do have an iPhone...I guess we will see how it goes!

C

chas_m

GMail's not bad (if you don't mind them reading your mail). For free, this is probably the best way to go.

I prefer MobileMe, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money JUST for email. You really have to take advantage of the other features to make it worth it, but I love IMAP so it would have to be MM or GMail for me.

Reaction score
I had your same issue a couple weeks ago. I had a yahoo account, but in order to use it in mac mail I had to pay $20 or something, which I didn't want to do. I switched to gmail, and hardly ever get on gmail online but manage it through the mac mail. I think it works great and like it better than the yahoo mail I did use, although I do still check that account because its where all my college letters come though (I'm a junior in HS and getting mail from colleges like crazy, but I am sure am happy it doesn't go to my new account, it's soo annoying).
The few times I have gotten on gmail from the web, it IS different than yahoo, and it confused me at first, but I think I like it a bit better, mostly because they handle email conversations like actual conversations, and you see both sides for as long as they go back, which my yahoo didn't do very well.
The confusing part is you have to add all your contacts to your address book on the mac in order for them to work in mac mail; as far as I can tell it won't pull them from the web, just address book. So updating that was a bit annoying, but I've been using it for 3 weeks now steady (I'm a new mac transfer) and completely love it.
So, if I were you, I'd switch to gmail. Although if you just use it through mac mail, that won't change based on what server its through, so if you want to go for hotmail it may not matter.
I hope I helped? I feel like I may have just ranted...
Haha. Good luck. :]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I use Windows Live from my ISP. (I get more inbox space, have a larger space allotment for attachments, etc)

I also use Gmail as an alternative/web sign-ups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Gmail is probably your best bet in terms of both space and cost (free!).

And I completely second the recommendations here to set it up with Mail.app using IMAP. That way everything will be in sync everywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Gmail is in bed with the CIA - don't use them.
Pay the $8 for a lavabit.net account. The email is encrypted on the server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air - 128 GB SSD, 2.13GHz intel duel core, 2GB Ram
lavabit are vampires and boogiemen - don't use them.

gmail is certainly the best free email. loads of features, loads of space, supported out the box by practically every client, intuitive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I use 2 clients, Microsoft Entourage for my Verizon and school account, and Mozilla Thunderbird for my Gmail accounts. Both keep everything organized and junk free.

Reaction score

If you gotta worry about the CIA what are you doing?

I use msn live through Qwest as my main using the mail client program attached to the dock no probs, but all others with gmail.

I don't plan on breaking any laws so if the CIA reads my mail they will be board to death.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I use gmail for spam crap, yahoo email for my Yahoo messenger (but hardly receive anything) and my home ISP account. I couldn't afford to renew my .mac account which I miss :(

I use Entourage because it has more features than Mail and gmail/yahoo as POP accounts. I really don't like iMap, it annoyed me and I couldn't understand what was happening to my emails from time to time. I'd move one to a saved folder then it would disappear from my sent folder on the server and vice versa... Oy!

I've had gmail since they introduced it and still use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
If you gotta worry about the CIA what are you doing?

I use msn live through Qwest as my main using the mail client program attached to the dock no probs, but all others with gmail.

I don't plan on breaking any laws so if the CIA reads my mail they will be board to death.

You don't have to break any laws. You simply have to say certain words.
And you never know what laws will be enacted in the future.
someday it may be illegal to criticize the president - or any criticism may be interpreted as a threat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.