mac wont start up. blank white screen with ?

Reaction score
hi everyone, new to the forums.

ive had this mac for ages and just have a problem ive never seen before.

upon start up a blank white screen shows up with a folder and within it is a ?

my friend has suggested that it might not be recognizing the hard drive?

correct?

also, what are the options of fixing it myself or for hire?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't tell us which Mac you have?

Try starting the machine with your original install media. After it boots from the install disk, use Disk Utility to verify and repair the hard drive.

Post back with details so we can provide more assistance.

Regards.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This kind of behavior usually occurs when the Mac has somehow "lost" its connection to the System files on the hard drive. There are a couple of things that you could try.

1. Boot into single user mode by pressing Command S simultaneously immediately after bootup. When the text stops scrolling by type fsck-fy and press enter. When the process is finished repeat it if any errors remaining.

OP
J
Reaction score
sorry. more info about the mac.

its a macbook from 2006.

upon boot up i tried ctrl and s, no response. does not recognize any command what so ever.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Follow my instructions from the first reply. Use your original install media to boot the machine. Escape from the install process and click on Utilities, Disk Utility from the top menu. Click on First Aid and run the verify and repair process. Let us know how that went.

Regards.

Reaction score
If you haven't tried it already turn the machine on while holding down ALT.
If you still can't see the HDD try the suggestions above.

OP
J
Reaction score
Follow my instructions from the first reply. Use your original install media to boot the machine. Escape from the install process and click on Utilities, Disk Utility from the top menu. Click on First Aid and run the verify and repair process. Let us know how that went.

Regards.

hi there, i have done this step and i get stuck just after i getthe first aid tab, its says to click verifications and it seems i do not have a "package".

any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.