boot problem - stuck on white/grey screen

Reaction score
I hadn't rebooted in quite some time, and decided to today for some reason, but it's just not doing a full boot. I hear the 'bong' and then it just stays on the grey screen. No apple, no spinning wheel. Nothing.

My wife recently removed Adium by dragging it into trash, and I've recently installed Onyx and an OCR app from Apple.com.

Any ideas? TIA.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since the machine is probably new, it's unlikely the problem is with the hard drive although that's a possibility.

Try resetting the PRAM/NVRAM. See the following LINK

If that doesn't work, contact Apple support or take it on to your local Apple store and have them look at it. Make an appointment first.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! It turned out to be a conflict or issue with my external HD. As soon as I unplugged it, everything was fine again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the reply! It turned out to be a conflict or issue with my external HD. As soon as I unplugged it, everything was fine again.

Well, that's an interesting one. I've never seen an external hard drive do that but I'm glad you got it sorted out. Enjoy your new 27" iMac.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.