problems with heat MBP

Reaction score
hi ive got a mac book pro. no not the new one but the old version that doesnt have the fancy machined case and still has that annoying button that needs to be pressed to open the screen. anyway im a student and i truly use this as my sole computer. when running smc fan control ive gotten temps upwards of 175 with just youtube!!!!!! just watching a youtube video with both fans spinning at 3k rpm it will run up to 175 and upwards. i know heat is bad and it gets really hot. is there anything i can do to cool it off? delete files? take it apart and get any / all dust out?

any suggestions would help.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I run smcfancontrol at 6K RPM and my temp stays much lower around 110 and about 130 when watching video.

But remember your Macbook was built to handle the heat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Mine sits around 130˚F with Safari and EyeTV running - total 7% overall CPU usage. That's with the fans at 2750rpm set by myself using SMC, default would be much higher.

Once I open up Aperture and start doing things there, it jumps to 185˚F with the same fan speed. If I change it to default the fans actually slow down and temps rise even more.

As stated above though, these notebooks can cope with the heat its just our skin that can't! :D

OP
S
Reaction score
hmm.. maybe the computer is built for it.. i know the temps were lower when it was new. also doesnt heat damage electronics? hard drives dont like heat. i think a batch of MBP's had bad nvidia cards where the solder melts..

just odd to have a computer with parts in it that are 190º... never thought they should run that hot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
I also have a silver-key C2D MPB and recently notice the heat.

I've had this MBP for 2 years and its only recently that ive had this heat problem.
A few months ago my logic board needed replaced and ever since i got it back, its been super hot when ever I'm doing something with video.

My SMC reads 200-210 when i am using skype video (crazy i know).
I plan to take it to the genius bar soon, hopefully they can figure it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I also have a silver-key C2D MPB and recently notice the heat.

I've had this MBP for 2 years and its only recently that ive had this heat problem.
A few months ago my logic board needed replaced and ever since i got it back, its been super hot when ever I'm doing something with video.

My SMC reads 200-210 when i am using skype video (crazy i know).
I plan to take it to the genius bar soon, hopefully they can figure it out.

Finally someone talking real heat... but even then, long enough on a skype video call and it is common to see that sort of temp on the MBs, and also the MBPs!
I have seen on many occasions 96˚C (204.8˚F) when on long skype video calls during Summer, and 86˚C (168.8˚F) in Winter.
Did your logic board get replaced due to being fried, or was it just faulty?
Either way, if you experienced lower heat before the replacement I would certainly take it to get looked at, if even just to have a record of an assessment of the new board in case something does go wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally someone talking real heat... but even then, long enough on a skype video call and it is common to see that sort of temp on the MBs, and also the MBPs!
I have seen on many occasions 96˚C (204.8˚F) when on long skype video calls during Summer, and 86˚C (168.8˚F) in Winter.
Did your logic board get replaced due to being fried, or was it just faulty?
Either way, if you experienced lower heat before the replacement I would certainly take it to get looked at, if even just to have a record of an assessment of the new board in case something does go wrong.
It just died one day, computer didn't boot and no display visuals.
I started noticing my fans would go full speed a lot more often then it did before. Then i started monitoring the temps and i definitely notice something was different. I just wish I knew the specific temperature my computer use to operate before the logic board was replaced.

If my temps were around 160F, id be ok but 210F is dam hot. I plan on taking it in this week, hopefully they can figure out whats wrong and cover the charges.

But to the OP: The computer has a thermal shut down feature; so the computer will turn it self off, if it gets "to hot". But make sure the computer has good ventilation; flat surface with the rear of the computer not blocked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
As I say, long calls on skype video will definitely reach those temps, as will long flash sessions.
As you know and stated for the OP ....
"The computer has a thermal shut down feature; so the computer will turn it self off, if it gets "to hot". But make sure the computer has good ventilation; flat surface with the rear of the computer not blocked. " :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can understand "long" skype/flash videos. But my problem is instant

- Nothing but Firefox open
- HD Youtube video playing
- CPU temperature shot up to 200+ after about 45seconds of the youtube video

16707yw.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everything looks normal there except for that CPU temp!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everything looks normal there except for that CPU temp!
Agreed, but one abnormality is still an abnormal haha. We will see what the smart people at the genius bar think.

Sorry for some what thread jacking, OP. Good luck with your situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.4C2D/4GB/250GB
2VBj

firefox- youtube 720p video
thunderbird
aperture- editing 4 photos
itunes- music playing

other misc apps in the background

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would think a MB would be different, no?
You temps are also not showing GPU temps like mine.
Maybe your GPU is integrated or different some how. IDK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.4C2D/4GB/250GB
I would think a MB would be different, no?
You temps are also not showing GPU temps like mine.
Maybe your GPU is integrated or different some how. IDK

i would think i would run a bit hotter due to the integrated gpu and only 1 fan. o wells :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, idk. It almost seems like 50/50.
Half the people say, 175-210 is normal.
And the other half say its not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't listen to anyone........ they are all full of "grit" :p
Just take it into Apple and satisfy yourself :)
All I know is that when it works it works, if it ain't broke don't fix it, and that there are too many people worrying about heat when it's not an issue!
This MB, 2+yrs, runs hot, never crashed, frozen or shut down :)

OP
S
Reaction score
well im not sure..... if others macs have run this hot and not had any bad side effects than i guess i can only say oh well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.