AC Adapter and battery life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2GHz 2GB ram
While the AC Adapter is plugged should I remove the battery to prolong its life or it doesn't matter ?

Thanks !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2GHz 2GB ram
Thanks for the link ! It answered most of my questions. I just want to make sure that the AC Adapter does not have any impact on the battery life. Years ago I was advised to remove the battery if I was using my laptop only as a desktop. It was supposed to help extending the battery life. Since then I kept the habit but it's not all the time very practical. I did notice then an improvement on the overall battery life. Is this advise still relevant on my mac ?

C

chas_m

It might be of some marginal benefit still, but the battery will degrade whether you use it or not, so overall the answer would be "no."

Plus, it would be kind of a downer to lose everything you were doing every time the power flickered because you didn't have a battery in.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Also of note, removing the battery and running off power only automatically underclocks your CPU in Apple notebooks. Not recommended.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.