unable to repair disk permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
start up off your restore DVD (hold down C at start with the disk in)

When you get to the install screen, go to utilities in the menu bar and select disk utility

Run a disk repair on your drive first, then you should be able to do a permissions repair afterwards, but do it soon and consider a back-up just in case, unless you already use Time Machine

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac Leopard 10.5.8
start up off your restore DVD (hold down C at start with the disk in)

When you get to the install screen, go to utilities in the menu bar and select disk utility

Run a disk repair on your drive first, then you should be able to do a permissions repair afterwards, but do it soon and consider a back-up just in case, unless you already use Time Machine

Doing the time machine bit as I type now, hopefully it doesnt fail like it did earlier.

The reason why im trying to fix permissions is because the system has twice now not picked up the start up disk when I switch the machine on. So trying to back up now so I can try the utility on boot up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The reason why im trying to fix permissions is because the system has twice now not picked up the start up disk when I switch the machine on. So trying to back up now so I can try the utility on boot up.

Problems with the selection of start up disk can be caused by corrupt NVRAM/PRAM settings. Try resetting the NVRAM/PRAM before attempting to fix permissions. See the following LINK

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.