New 21.5" iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 500GB 3.06 Intel
Hi there, I have recentley ordered a new 21.5" iMac and it is due to arrive at mine on the 16th March. I'm just wondering if there is anything I need to do before I start using my Mac for general use, like do I have to worry about things like anti-virus software etc? (might seem a bit of stupid question cause ive heard macs dont get viruses but dont know if thats true or not...)

Anyway, any help would be appreciated thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Plug it in and follow the directions and the help menu really works on the Mac also support from the Apple site plus here. Just use a firewall and remember not to give
your password to gain access unless its something you want thats trusted.

C

chas_m

Actually, the software firewall is unneeded (which is why it ships as "off" by default). Your router already contains a hardware firewall which is more than sufficient.

And yes, it's true that there are NO VIRUSES for Macs. Thus, no anti-virus software is needed either.

There's nothing you need to do to "prepare" other than to unlearn all the fear and paranoia of the Windows world. :)

Reaction score
Maybe get "The Missing Manual for Mac OS X" otherwise fire it up and let the enjoyment begin!

Reaction score
Thanks for asking the question I was wondering the same question.

I see someone meantion a router Do I need a router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
You don't necessarily need a router.

I would only suggest it if your high speed connection is in a separate room from your office, or if you'll be using multiple PCs.

If this is your only comp, though, and your connection is in your office or wherever, it would just be pointless. I'd turn your mac firewall on, however, if you aren't using a router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
As for anti virus - there is a sticky thread about that. The consensus is that if you exchange alot of files with Windows users you should install some sort of anti virus software like clamxAV.
It is true there are no viruses for OSX - but you can still send an infected file to a Windows user. Example: you get an infected Word docx - edit it in Office, NeoOffice, save it and send it on its way - the file is still infected and the next person may get a warning. The last person who had the file gets blamed - Mac or not.
I don't have any AV installed because clamx for Snow Leopard is still in beta. And I'm too lazy right now.
As for your Router like others already said if you have multiple machines on the same connection - get a router.
I second the notion that the firewall is not needed. I don't even enable it on Windows machines.

Once you get setup...

ttiwwp.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 3.06Ghz, 4MB Ram, 1TB HDD
Your going to love the new iMac dude. It's just plain awesome. Plug in the ONE cord and away you go!

OP
Lewis.C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah thats one of the things that im really looking forward to is the fact that there is only one wire coming out the back, and that the screen has everything in it. Its going to make my desk space so much less cluttered :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
yeah thats one of the things that im really looking forward to is the fact that there is only one wire coming out the back, and that the screen has everything in it. Its going to make my desk space so much less cluttered :-D

Agreed. As long as the **** screen doesn't break... Apple didn't handle that issue very well.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I also ordered a new 27" i7 iMac that should be arriving on Friday..this weekend will be quite fun setting it up and transferring all of my stuff from my Mac Mini..will be quite a boost in performance going from the 1.83 Ghz Mini to the i7 iMac..:)

Regards

OP
Lewis.C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed. As long as the **** screen doesn't break... Apple didn't handle that issue very well.

Yeah I asked the dude in my local apple store about that, he said that it was more common with the new 27" iMacs, and wasnt as common with the 21.5" models, also compared to how many iMacs are sold a very low percentage are faulty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac | iPod nano | iPhone 4
I'm going to pick up a new 21.5" iMac about the first week of April, we are moving so I really don't want to have to set it up where I'm at now and have to take it down, but I am looking foward to getting it up and running, it will be my first Mac computer but from what I have seen in the store there isn't much sense in buying anything else out there in the computer world. Already threw away on PC last week (less the HD, took a hammer to it) and getting ready to dumpster my last one!

Reaction score
Now would be a good time to create DvD copy backups of your photos, music, and documents. This way, you can transfer them to your new iMac faster, and you will have a nice backup.

OP
Lewis.C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now would be a good time to create DvD copy backups of your photos, music, and documents. This way, you can transfer them to your new iMac faster, and you will have a nice backup.

thats a good shout, got my whole itunes library to transfer over, dont suppose anyone know a faster way than copying it from my pc onto a mamory sitck then putting it on to my new mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Either that or a DVD backup would be the fastest.

Not sure which is faster, but I tend to lean towards DVD backup being faster. I have a 32 gig flash card, however, so I'm just going to transfer my stuff using that in one big heap. Not looking forward to converting all of my non DRM wma files...

OP
Lewis.C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh right, but could you get a disc with enough space and how much do they normally cost on average?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Depends on how much you're transferring. A DVD-9 (dual layer) disc usually holds about 8.5 gigs. They cost a few bucks a pop. More if you're using lightscribe.

Edit: oops! UK! Sorry! I guess they go for a similar price, there. One or two pounds.

Reaction score
iMAC 21.5" Switch

Nope! Nothing at all. Just open the box. Plug it in. Do not even read the manual. Put in the key for your wireless router if you have broadband that way and in 19 yes, 19 minutes I was up and running email and the internet.

Having been on windows for twenty years the switch has gone remarkably well especially as the minimise etcetera are all on the other side. That to me is the only dowside so far.

Feel free to email me and chat about your experience.

Jonah
:Cool:

Reaction score
Nope! Nothing at all. Just open the box. Plug it in. Do not even read the manual. Put in the key for your wireless router if you have broadband that way and in 19 yes, 19 minutes I was up and running email and the internet.

Having been on windows for twenty years the switch has gone remarkably well especially as the minimise etcetera are all on the other side. That to me is the only dowside so far.

Feel free to email me and chat about your experience.

Jonah
:Cool:
From someone who was a Mac virgin last weekend and deflowered by a 27" Mas(dirty I know) I agree, it is only the little thing syou need to get used to. No true "maximize" without a third part program, the minimize ect on the left hand side. The program doesn't sut down if you hit exit, you have to hit quit.

Still, the benefits FAR outweigh the little nuances.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.