Recent Switcher....My Story

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Unibody Macbook (end 2009)
Hey guys :)

Bit of a long one, so I apologise and if you dont want to read it all, the last 3 paragraphs sum it all up.

Some of you would have seen a thread started by me last week, explaining how id finally gone and ordered myself a shiny new Macbook.....well its here and its amazing!! I thought id share a few things which might come in useful for anybody thinking of switching and isn't quite sure about taking that final step into spending what can only be described as 'alot of money' on a new computer - should they be considering a Mac.

This is my first Mac ever and it took me a while to actually make the move, not only were there other priorities that got in the way of being able to save up for one, but also the impending decision on which one to actually go for!

At first (being so new to Mac's) I was dazzled by the beauty of the products they produced, which led to a serious amount of research being conducted into how the operating systems differed from what I was used to (have used Windows since 95) and whether it really was worth spending so much more on a machine just because it attracted you into its market purely by cosmetics initially........it soon became a foregone conclusion that Mac's are so much more than just a computerized goddess.

Do a search on the internet for Mac vs Windows PC and you'll never find the answer you're looking for, because alot of the sites are bias and for every person who slates a Mac, there is someone else who cant speak highly enough of them, but thats life and you'll get that with anything comparative. One thing I noticed however, was they all say the same thing - 'Mac's just work'. This is quite a comforting thing to hear, however it can also be misleading. All technology, no matter who makes it, can and will glitch in some way. It could be small enough just to require a restart, or it could be disastrous with big consequences. So I took it with a pinch of salt, ignored the hater replies and just tried to focus on useful, on the fence, unbiased opinions.

The machines I had seen in the Apple store amazed me and I didnt want to use them too much in case the wow factor had worn off by the time it came to purchasing one, however coming from a windows world, its kinda hard to work out what the **** is going on and where everything is, so this left things slightly up in the air and I purchased the missing manual to read instead, that way I got a great idea of what the OS was capable of and hopefully the learning curve wouldn't be too dramatic when I received the machine.

The first thought was Macbook/Pro or Mac Pro. I chose the notebook version for its portability and with that in mind it was just a case of choosing which model to get. The 15" Macbook pro was the favourite at first due to size and the standalone graphics card, however (and prob something to do with price too) I became quite likened to the 13 inch models and decided the base one would be perfect for my needs and the GT card just wasn't justifiable for the extra cost, considering my use of the machine would be light photoshop work, light music creation, internet, email and just general surfing, plus maybe the odd non-frame intensive game.

Then they went and released the white unibody Macbook and that changed everything. It looked **** nice, had almost the same spec's, plus a bigger hard drive as standard. Not much in it really, but it saves £100 GBP and seemed the best option. So we had a winner and I was excited about the prospect of getting it. Unfortunately I was my own worst enemy with continuing to research more about Mac's and any upcoming rumors of new models etc. There was (is) talk of a pro line update in the very near future and I, like alot of other people out there, thought it would be stupid to buy now, without seeing what the updated line consists of. The main thing people are expecting is the i5/i7 processors making their notebook debut in the Mac world.

Now this is the important part: I needed a computer now and knew deep down that I didn't need that extra power for my usage and its purely a 'my engines bigger than yours scenario'. This could have been a costly upgrade to wait for, considering I would potentially never even get to experience the extra power that the new chip could offer anyway.

So I bit the bullet, ordered a white unibody knowing full well a new machine could be released in a week or two and waited eagerly for its arrival, wondering if id regret it and should have got a pro.....

IT WAS THE BEST DECISION I COULD HAVE MADE IN MY OPINION. It really does 'just work', everything about it runs effortlessly. I click on something half expecting the machine to freeze for 30 seconds whilst it catches its breath, but it doesnt. I run a few app's at the same time, whilst downloading a 1.6GB software update and Garageband plug ins at the same time and it still runs like nothing else is going on in the background. Words really cant describe how refreshing this is and how happy I feel when using it. The learning curve isn't that steep, but I guess that depends on how technically minded and adaptable the user is, but Google is only a page away and it holds all the answers and after a day or two it seems natural and you'll wonder why it took so long to go Mac.

Im can honestly say that whatever the next line of updates brings, I will not regret my purchase decision for one second! It does everything I need it to and more, but no matter what you use/need your computer for, we all have one very big thing in common....we want reliability and working, well designed functionality. Apple have this in the bag and switching to Mac will be one of the best decisions you could ever make in your computing life :)

One very happy new Mac owner right here, who is over the moon to finally be part of the new found community.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Welcome to the Light, my son. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Welcome aboard! You'll soon come to appreciate a Macintosh in so many ways. I only wish you could've been with us the whole time. In my opinion, things were far more amazing about seven years ago when the Macintosh experience was just as perfect, just as flawless... but on hardware an order of magnitude less impressive. I used Mac OS X 10.2 and 10.3 on a 450MHz G4 with 320MB of RAM and it was just as perfect as my Mac Pro.

Not like I had any problems back in the 1990s either :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
Welcome aboard. You will have no regrets.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome aboard,

Might I suggest, to ease your Mac transition, you visit your local library and pick up some Mac-centric books.
See my post here for some recommendations.

Hope this helps. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Et benedictio Dei omnipotentis, Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti descendat super vos et maneat semper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Grats on the purchase! I had a few of the same hangups you did. "Should I wait for the new model?" "Should I get the white or the pro?"

In the end I went with the pro, and couldn't be happier (although, the extra bit of HD would have been nice). In the end, I decided that I won't need the extra power, and like you, that it would just be a peeing contest to that end.

I have been amazed. I sat down the other day to download some plugins for quicktime and whatnot, and to download the new pumpkins song. I set aside a couple of hours for updating the computer for my needs, and I found myself done within ten minutes. I just stared at the screen for a minute thinking to myself "what now?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Hey guys :)

Bit of a long one, so I apologise and if you dont want to read it all, the last 3 paragraphs sum it all up.

One very happy new Mac owner right here, who is over the moon to finally be part of the new found community.

Since you have "007" in your screen name - might I suggest you get familiar with FileVault and TrueCrypt.

FileVault is included as part of Snow Leopard while FileVault is open source and cross platform. You can encrypt an entire USB jumpdrive with that utility.
TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Im can honestly say that whatever the next line of updates brings, I will not regret my purchase decision for one second! It does everything I need it to and more, but no matter what you use/need your computer for, we all have one very big thing in common....we want reliability and working, well designed functionality. Apple have this in the bag and switching to Mac will be one of the best decisions you could ever make in your computing life :)

And that is one of the wisest things that can be said. And I believe it's one of the best reasons to buy Apple. And I'm glad you like your new white MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Just remember, folks....
don't let it go to your head. Some are forced to use Windows. Some simply don't know any better.
Be tolerant.

C

chas_m

Actually, you'd be well-advised to STAY AWAY from Filevault. The benefits are low, and the risk of data loss is high.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Actually, you'd be well-advised to STAY AWAY from Filevault. The benefits are low, and the risk of data loss is high.

Have to agree whole heartedly with this one .....
Is more trouble than its worth

C

chas_m

How bad can it be?

You stand a very good chance of losing ALL the contents of your home folder, that's how bad it can be.

The problem is that people tend to forget the master password, OR it can become corrupted if the machine is having other problems.

Once either of these things happens, NOBODY can help you. Not the local guru, not Apple itself, not even the CIA (at least that they'd admit to). You're hosed and your data is gone. Well, actually it's right where it was -- but you can't ever get to it, which is actually worse.

This is why I don't recommend Filevault.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
I have been amazed. I sat down the other day to download some plugins for quicktime and whatnot, and to download the new pumpkins song. I set aside a couple of hours for updating the computer for my needs, and I found myself done within ten minutes. I just stared at the screen for a minute thinking to myself "what now?"

A similar thing happened to me shortly after I bought my MacBook. I decided it was time to upgrade my WiFi connection from the ancient 802.11b model I had been using to a brand new Time Capsule (so that I could wirelessly back up the MacBook as well). At the same time, I decided to buy an AirPort Express so that I could wirelessly stream music from my iTunes library to my home theater speakers. This of course necessitated that I set up a brand new wireless network at home. Not only that, I had to get the AirPort Express to join the network, so I was setting up to different WiFi devices. Given my experience with devices like this in the past, I knew it could be a real challenge and would likely take most of the night.

I remember bringing both devices home on a Friday night and thinking to myself, "Okay, this is my project this evening. Before I go to bed, I'm going to have this all set up and working." Within about 40 minutes or so from the time I started, my work was done. I managed to unpack everything, hook it up, create a new wireless network, connect the AirPort Express to the Time Capsule, get Air Tunes working, and I was ready to go for my first backup with Time Machine.

Of course I was amazed by all of this. It seemed almost effortless on my part. I have to admit that as much as I loved the simplicity of the entire process, it did pose one slight problem. I didn't know what to do with myself for the rest of the night. Seriously. I didn't have any other plans than to work on setting up the WiFi network. I had to find something fun to do instead. What a drag. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
You stand a very good chance of losing ALL the contents of your home folder, that's how bad it can be.

The problem is that people tend to forget the master password, OR it can become corrupted if the machine is having other problems.

Once either of these things happens, NOBODY can help you. Not the local guru, not Apple itself, not even the CIA (at least that they'd admit to). You're hosed and your data is gone. Well, actually it's right where it was -- but you can't ever get to it, which is actually worse.

This is why I don't recommend Filevault.

that's true with any encryption utility.

As for the master password - do what I did and go old school.
I wrote it down on a note card and it sits in an envelope - in my safety deposit box.
I did the same thing with my mother's MBP.
I did my undergrad senior thesis on encryption so I understand what happens when a recovery key is lost.

I googled my **** off and can't find anything about FV's "unreliable nature." It seems that if one follows standard backup procedures, even with a system failure recovery should be trivial.

Although you did scare the crap out of me and I disabled it last night.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.