Getting around a Sloowwww boot up install disc.

Reaction score
Hi there. I want to install TIGER on my ext FW HD backup ( I already have a my Panther OS cloned there, so no problem ...I hope)
My problem is that, the install disc is real slow showing up on the desk top. So When I boot holding C it takes so long that my computer get's fed up waiting and reboots by Default into my old OS. Anybody out there got any bright idea's of how to get around this problem. ( Pismo G3 + Pather 10.3.9)
I really need tiger 'cos hardly anything works any more with Panther
Thanks in advance

OP
F
Reaction score
Nobody answers my question !!!!

This really is a brilliant Forum.... I've had my question up for a week now....
NOTHING.... somebody out there must have some idea's.

Reaction score
Calm down man, i am sure somebody who knows hasnt seen your post yet, after all its only been 3 days not a week.

C

chas_m

fishtalk:

I hate to be brusque, but you DO know we're not paid to do this, right? Nobody *owes* you *anything,* so the first thing I would do is lose the attitude.

And yes, booting up from disk takes a VERY long time, particularly with older machines such as yours. But if you are actually keeping the C key held down, then what you describe couldn't be happening: holding the C key down FORCES the machine to boot from the optical drive whether it wants to or not. If it couldn't find a bootable folder (very likely the problem here as Pismos can't boot Tiger except for the retail disk), it should just throw up a "?" eventually.

So there's two possible problems: one is that you're letting your finger slip slightly, or you don't have a retail Tiger disk.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't really know much about PPC Macs. But my first question would be: you do have a black retail disc and not one of the gray discs that proliferate on ebay? If you have one of those gray discs, it's not going to install as they are system specific. This is also "assuming" that your DVD-Rom is still functional.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As the others have asked with no response what type of install disc are you using?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.