Memory Upgrades?

H

Hammo

What I run:
1st Gen. Dual 1.8 G5 w/ Tiger; 512mb (2x256)

Basically I want to upgrade my ram to at least 1.5gb, and this being my first Mac, I am not 100% positive about what I can and can't put in this machine.

Will the standard, Crucial sticks be more than fine (i.e. compatible) with my machine, or is there a specific type of Ram I have to use?

If Crucial is fine, then would getting two (or more) sticks of this be acceptable:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146541 ?

Also, what type of performance increase am I looking at, here, by upgrading? Will an extra GB of Ram give me a noticable increase of speed and stability?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To be sure, I would go to crucial.com and check what they suggest for the G5 Macs. From all the Macs I have worked with, most good but standard PC3200 RAM will work fine in the G5's. Do not go for strange memory timings. Just plain PC3200 DDR. Check Crucial though to be sure.

OP
M

menace3054

dtravis7 said:
To be sure, I would go to crucial.com and check what they suggest for the G5 Macs. From all the Macs I have worked with, most good but standard PC3200 RAM will work fine in the G5's. Do not go for strange memory timings. Just plain PC3200 DDR. Check Crucial though to be sure.

an extra gb of ram will give you a lot of noticed increase in performance. you do not have to buy crucial, it is very expensive. go to newegg.com and search for Corsair Value Select or somthing along those things, their 1gb 512x2 chips are what i have in my powermac dual 1.8, and they work great. its very cheap too!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I never once said they had to buy Crucial. I said check Crucial to see what memory they recomend.

OP
S

spong

Hammo said:
What I run:
1st Gen. Dual 1.8 G5 w/ Tiger; 512mb (2x256)

Basically I want to upgrade my ram to at least 1.5gb, and this being my first Mac, I am not 100% positive about what I can and can't put in this machine.

Will the standard, Crucial sticks be more than fine (i.e. compatible) with my machine, or is there a specific type of Ram I have to use?

If Crucial is fine, then would getting two (or more) sticks of this be acceptable:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146541 ?

Also, what type of performance increase am I looking at, here, by upgrading? Will an extra GB of Ram give me a noticable increase of speed and stability?

I put 1gb of Crucial RAM in my single 1.8 (it already had 256).

Works fine, it made a big difference - it was regularly crashing before, and hasn't done in the 3 months since I put it in.

Dunno about others, but you certainly don't need to get a mortgage for Apple original stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.