Help -- Which Router ... ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
We need to get a new router ... When I get my new Mac Pro 3.33GHz (soon!) the modem (Clearwire) will be hard-wired to my Mac Pro.

My youngest son's computer (HP Slimline) will be hard-wired to the router. My oldest son's computer (HP Pavillion Elite) will connect wireless. Our laptops (iBook G4 and PowerBook G4), and our roommate's laptop (MacBook Pro) will all connect wireless.

I've was looking at the DGL-4500, but recently have learned that it will not allow 2.4/5 GHz connection simultaneously. I've also been looking at the DIR-655 Xtreme and the DIR-825.

I know almost nothing about routers, and have no clue what I should be looking for ....

I've been using my D-Links 524 router for almost six years, which has been working flawlessly! But we are having too many problems with our connection signal, lagging, getting disconnected and having to reboot the modem/router too often. And now we have so many computers to connect online.

Both of my boys are doing online gaming, and so they need solid, stable connections.

I don't mind paying $200 or more for a high-end router. Also, I want to have free tech support for at least a couple years (like I did with my old D-Links 524).

Suggestions ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
If you are willing to pay the big $$. Have you looked into the Apple Extreme router? And with Apple care you get the usual 3 year support. It is pretty good and does a lot of things. Mind you not everything some other routers do. Best to read the tech specs pace about it on the Apple website.

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
If you are willing to pay the big $$. Have you looked into the Apple Extreme router? And with Apple care you get the usual 3 year support. It is pretty good and does a lot of things. Mind you not everything some other routers do. Best to read the tech specs pace about it on the Apple website.

Would the Apple Extreme router work with PCs? We will have two PCs and four Apples online.

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
Looks like the Airport Extreme router will not work for us. We have two older computers (iBook G4 and PowerBook G4) that need to get online, and the Airport Extreme router is only for OSX 10.5.7 or later.

Man, that's a real bummer ... !!! I would really like to have the Airport Extreme router ... !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
I looked at a bunch, narrowed it down to two, and then selected this one. RANGEMAX™ DUAL BAND WIRELESS-N GIGABIT ROUTER WNDR3700

The reason I chose this over the Airport extreme was my ability to connect and control the connections better with the NetGear. Great Modem!!! Had it a week and have to say best upgrade to date (Outside of my MBP! :) )

And like you, REALLY wanted the Airport Extreme router. I'm real pleased with the NetGear.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.