DVI to HDMI help

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just purchased a mini-DVI to DVI and HDMI cable from ebay which costed me $10 with free shipping. Here is the link: Mini-DVI TO HDMI/DVI CABLE ADAPTER FOR APPLE MACBOOK - eBay (item 280462487360 end time Mar-09-10 19:39:38 PST)

After paying for it I then found out that DVI and HDMI are the exact same connector, with the only difference being audio. So I messaged the seller and asked for this one instead since there will be no audio: NEW MINI DVI TO DVI CABLE ADAPTER FOR APPLE MACBOOK - eBay (item 270536205642 end time Mar-24-10 23:21:37 PDT)

I need a 25ft cable to go from the mini-DVI to my TV. Which one should I buy? (Preferably cheapest):

DVI-DVI
DVI-HDMI
HDMI-HDMI

Since there is no point of using HDMI because of no audio, is it cheaper to just buy DVI-DVI?

Or should I just keep the original mini-DVI that I bought and buy a DVI-HDMI cable so that it could be interchangeable?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
DVI and HDMI are in no fashion the same connector. Here is a pic of the two side by side with the DVI on the left and the HDMI on the right.

41wclQUjt8L._SS500_.jpg

Even the adapter you bought has two connections on it, one for DVI and another for HDMI.

Your question cannot be answered without more information.

Please check this thread.

OP
D
Reaction score
backless is

I am aware that they are not the same connector, but they do in fact deliver video the exact same way which is what I will be using one or the other for.

I have a 13" MBP and a 26" Toshiba TV that supports DVI and HDMI.

What other information is required?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Under normal situations I would recommend DVI over HDMI to a set that has DVI. You'll not need to deal with overscan issues that arise from using HDMI to many TV sets.

I would not recommend DVI for that long a run at all. The specification for DVI is 5 meters (approx 16'). Whether you can get it to work at longer lengths will depend on the hardware (graphics card) and the cable itself. There is degradation of digital video signals over these longer lengths which result in pixelation, artifacts, and stuck pixels on your display.

I would keep the adapter you have, just because it has both DVI and HDMI. That could come in handy down the road. (I'm assuming it works here). At 25', I'd definitely go with HDMI. monoprice.com is where I go for most cables. Their site is down until Tuesday for updating but sales is open. My guess... their 25' HDMI cable, version 1.3 is probably around $15. I know many people using 50' runs of HDMI without issue.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
D
Reaction score
Under normal situations I would recommend DVI over HDMI to a set that has DVI. You'll not need to deal with overscan issues that arise from using HDMI to many TV sets.

I would not recommend DVI for that long a run at all. The specification for DVI is 5 meters (approx 16'). Whether you can get it to work at longer lengths will depend on the hardware (graphics card) and the cable itself. There is degradation of digital video signals over these longer lengths which result in pixelation, artifacts, and stuck pixels on your display.

I would keep the adapter you have, just because it has both DVI and HDMI. That could come in handy down the road. (I'm assuming it works here). At 25', I'd definitely go with HDMI. monoprice.com is where I go for most cables. Their site is down until Tuesday for updating but sales is open. My guess... their 25' HDMI cable, version 1.3 is probably around $15. I know many people using 50' runs of HDMI without issue.

Thanks for your help, would I not be better off buying a shorter DVI cable and using an external wireless mouse and keyboard?

And why shouldn't I buy a DVI-HDMI cable like this one?:
dvi%20to%20HDMI%20cable.jpg

This way I could try both with the adapter that I have

By the way here are the TV's that I have: Toshiba Regza 26HL67 Flat-panel TV reviews - CNET Reviews
Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR6 Flat-panel TV reviews - CNET Reviews

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Neither one of those TVs have a DVI input.

Your primary input options with either of those is VGA or HDMI.

No, I wouldn't get the DVI to HDMI cable since you already have an adapter with HDMI. I'd go with an HDMI cable.

I would purchase the shortest length of cable required to go from the TV to your computer.

OP
D
Reaction score
Neither one of those TVs have a DVI input.

Your primary input options with either of those is VGA or HDMI.

No, I wouldn't get the DVI to HDMI cable since you already have an adapter with HDMI. I'd go with an HDMI cable.

I would purchase the shortest length of cable required to go from the TV to your computer.

Alright so with your help I've come to the conclusion that I will be using HDMI. Now I have two more issues to tackle.

1. HDMI pricing and length - Is it true that the longer the cable is the more you should pay for it, in order to ensure proper signal transfer and quality?
i.e. If I were to go with a 25 ft then looking for one like this is the better the option: 25FT HDMI 1.3b 1080p Gold Plated Cable For HDTV PS3 LCD - eBay (item 290393582527 end time Mar-21-10 03:02:22 PDT) instead of a generic one like this: HDMI to HDMI (M/M) Gold 25 ft Long Video Cable PS3 HDTV - eBay (item 140388955321 end time Mar-11-10 15:13:39 PST)

2. Audio - I will be connecting my Macbook to the HDMI audio in input on the back of my TV using this:
CABLE-Audio-Y-Splitter-2-RCA-Females-to-1-3-5mm-Male-IEC-M7401.jpg
and the cables will be around 25ft. Is this setup sufficient enough for good audio without 5.1? What other options are there?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. The 2nd cable you have there is actually the more expensive when you compare both of them in U.S. dollars.

Just look for a cable that has the 1.3 certification on it so you don't have to worry about connecting it to any other HDMI device. They all should be in the $16-$20 range at 25'.

You'll need to use HDMI 1 on the Toshiba
You'll need to use HDMI 4 on the Sony

2. Audio: there is no other option to have the sound through the TV with those two models. Neither one of them have the capability of receiving 5.1 from a computer.

And don't forget to go into the Audio settings on the Toshiba and change the PC Audio to No.

OP
D
Reaction score
1. The 2nd cable you have there is actually the more expensive when you compare both of them in U.S. dollars.

Just look for a cable that has the 1.3 certification on it so you don't have to worry about connecting it to any other HDMI device. They all should be in the $16-$20 range at 25'.

You'll need to use HDMI 1 on the Toshiba
You'll need to use HDMI 4 on the Sony

2. Audio: there is no other option to have the sound through the TV with those two models. Neither one of them have the capability of receiving 5.1 from a computer.

And don't forget to go into the Audio settings on the Toshiba and change the PC Audio to No.

What do you mean by this?

EDIT: Nevermind, gotcha :) Thanks again for all your help, I'll let you know how the setup goes once I actually do it

OP
D
Reaction score
Alright so I just received what I bought, and found out that I got the wrong one. My macbook pro has a mini display port not a mini dvi.

Should I buy...

OPTION A - mini display port to hdmi + 6ft hdmi cable:
4802.jpg

or

OPTION B - mini display port to dvi + 6ft dvi to hdmi cable:
200942223211877.jpg

+
hdmidvi.jpg

PS: keeping in mind that later down the road i might want to plug in my macbook into a projector or a device that has VGA. Is it not easier to go from OPTION B to VGA? Or can I stick with OPTION A and go from HDMI to DVI using an adapter and then DVI to VGA with another adapter?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, you will not be able to use a DVI to VGA "adapter" attached to a mini display port to DVI adapter. The mini displayport to DVI adapter will allow you to connect a DVI-I or DVI-A cable to it, but the output is DVI-D only, meaning it outputs only the digital signal. There is no analog support provided through this adapter.

See this thread - post 5, Item # 1 for the least expensive way to connect to VGA from a mini displayport.

I would not recommend either one of those options to get from a mini displayport to HDMI. No reason to have two pieces when one will do. Head over to monoprice.com and pick up one of these in the length you need.

OP
D
Reaction score
No, you will not be able to use a DVI to VGA "adapter" attached to a mini display port to DVI adapter. The mini displayport to DVI adapter will allow you to connect a DVI-I or DVI-A cable to it, but the output is DVI-D only, meaning it outputs only the digital signal. There is no analog support provided through this adapter.

See this thread - post 5, Item # 1 for the least expensive way to connect to VGA from a mini displayport.

I would not recommend either one of those options to get from a mini displayport to HDMI. No reason to have two pieces when one will do. Head over to monoprice.com and pick up one of these in the length you need.

But what if one day I need a longer one and I'm stuck with the single cable; whereas, getting the two pieces allows for easier extension.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly how does having two pieces allow for easier extension?

You're still going to have to purchase a new cable.

The more connections you have, the more points of failure you have and the harder it is to diagnose where the failure is when it happens.

OP
D
Reaction score
Exactly how does having two pieces allow for easier extension?

You're still going to have to purchase a new cable.

The more connections you have, the more points of failure you have and the harder it is to diagnose where the failure is when it happens.

Fair enough.

The only concerns that I have now before ordering is that it has had some bad reviews about the connector housing being too thick and slightly covering up the USB and firewire ports and its not gold plated.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That would be an issue to take into consideration. If you're only connecting it when you're wanting to watch a movie, etc.; shouldn't be a problem. If you're planning on leaving it connected semi-full time to make use of dual monitors, it could become an issue. Only you would know the proper course for your intended use.

OP
D
Reaction score
That could be an issue to take into consideration. If you're only connecting it when you're wanting to watch a movie, etc.; shouldn't be a problem. If you're planning on leaving it connected semi-full time to make use of dual monitors, it could become an issue. Only you would know the proper course for your intended use.

I could also work around that with a USB hub. Do you know if its better to buy from monoprice on ebay to avoid paying extra fees since i'm in Canada?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't have a clue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.