Internal speakers not working on Macbook

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a late 2008 aluminum Macbook which hasn't had any problems till now. After connecting headphones for about ten minutes, and then removing them, my computer isn't recognizing they're out, and when I go into the sound setup it still shows "Headphones"..

I've searched the net and the closest problem I could find was something with a red light coming out of the headphone jack, which I don't have.. I tried reconnecting the headphones and using various objects which were recommended, but nothing worked..

Before I have to take my computer into the store for repair, do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Usually plugging and unplugging the headphone jack a few times will trigger the on board
speakers if not I would take it back or you could try some one else's headphones just to
see if there is a slight tolerance difference to trigger the switch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook, 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 Gig Memory, GeForce 9400M, 160 GB HD, Snow Leopard.
Just started having the same problem with my 2009 Aluminium MacBook too. As recommended above, plugging and unplugging the headphone jack a few times sorted it. For how long I don't know.

C

chas_m

Probably some schmutz in the jack. A small (SMALL!) blast of compressed air might sort it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Reboot your computer. Your sound card is confused. As someone who does a lot of audio production, I've run into this a few times before. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.