Macbook Lid Not Closing Properly?

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I was playing around with my girlfriend's Macbook today when I closed the lid and tilted it upwards so that it was 90 degrees to the surface of the table. That was when the lid opened on its own and wouldn't stay closed even when I press it down. I initially thought that it was the rubber keyboard protector that she uses, but the same thing happened when I took those out. The lid closes fine when it is flat on the surface of the table, but it hangs open when I lift it upright. It's as if the magnets are not strong enough to keep the lid closed. Is that a problem with everybody or just her?

She is using an Unibody 13" Macbook (Not Pro) from 2009.

Do you think such an issue warrants an exchange? Clearly, there's something wrong here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Hello guys,

I was playing around with my girlfriend's Macbook today when I closed the lid and tilted it upwards so that it was 90 degrees to the surface of the table. That was when the lid opened on its own and wouldn't stay closed even when I press it down. I initially thought that it was the rubber keyboard protector that she uses, but the same thing happened when I took those out. The lid closes fine when it is flat on the surface of the table, but it hangs open when I lift it upright. It's as if the magnets are not strong enough to keep the lid closed. Is that a problem with everybody or just her?

She is using an Unibody 13" Macbook (Not Pro) from 2009.

Do you think such an issue warrants an exchange? Clearly, there's something wrong here.

I have never had that problem, I would say call Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.