what's up with my battery?

Reaction score
Ok so Coconut Battery says my battery is only charging to 99% of it's current capacity. Eff that. What do I do?

C

chas_m

Um, nothing.

Batteries degrade over time. It is the nature of all things. There's nothing you can do about it.

I suppose you could run the battery down to about 40%, then take it out of the machine, encase it amber and stuff it in your freezer for 100 years, I'll bet it would still work just as well in the year 2110 ... but what machine could use it then? :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The battery is only re-charged when it is below 94% (could be 96%, I forget which).
So, once you get below that, it will re-charge to 100%.

The battery is still in use, although minimally, while you are plugged into main power. It will drop in charge over time from 100% due to this and will not re-charge until it hits the above percentage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.