• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

1080i on macbook pro 17" problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 320M
Hi, i am trying to plug my 17"macbook pro late 2006 into my 42" (not full hd) TV using a gold plated DVI >> HDMI cable, the problem is that the picture is pixelated and has chopped off a 1 inch border around the whole screen. Any suggestions?

Does my computer support 1080i? Also if i get the latest Mac Pro would that solve my problem?

Thanks in advance.

Elliott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Bobtomay pretty much covered the overscan issue - now on the other topic - the video you're getting out:

First question I have is - you say the TV isn't full HD (yet it has an HDMI connector which is normally reserved for HD TVs (whether they be 720p or 1080i/p) what is your tvs max resolution?

Next: What kind of file is it, container/codec? And also what bitrate is it recorded at?

Next: Is it pixelated on your laptop? Look close, although you have a high rez screen, it may be harder to see the pixelation then it is on a gigantic screen.

Next: What are you using to play the file?

The latest Mac Pro isn't required - I have a mac mini hooked up in my home theater and although it took some time to find all the right settings for HD files to look nice on my screen, I play 1080p footage without real problems. I'm not saying the latest Mac Pro isn't totally awesome, I'm just saying it's overkill for just playing back video files on your TV unless they fall under certain specifications (and even then they can easily be converted)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I read right past that part.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I read right past that part.

Hahaha, happens to me all the time - honestly, I figured you were primarily concerning yourself with tv hookup and overscan and leaving the rest for someone else :) I'm looking forward to the rest of your TV faq, I've found it quite interesting so far!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.