Macintosh-MacBook Administrator Password

Reaction score
I know you guys may get this a lot, but I am having a really difficult time with this...

I am trying to make a administrator account on my 10.4.9 Tiger MacBook so that I can install a crucial engine for my game. I currently do not have any administrator privileges on the laptop, so I cannot edit anything in the system preferences as to accounts.

I cannot ...
-Buy boot CD keys again
-Do the CMD+S -restart option because every time I do that it goes through all those lines of code and then forces itself to restart once more...

Anymore solutions as to what I can do?

OP
Q
Reaction score
Making a new administrator account.

I have been all around google and have found multiple ways to make an administrator account on tiger (10.4.9).

I have tried all, but one seems to keep stabbing me in the face.
The option where you re-boot your macintosh and hold CMD+S, then typing mount -uw / ... etc.
Problem with that for me is that all the lines of code write itself and then disappear, thus rebooting the computer once more...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Create an administrator? System Preferences > Accounts. Create a new user and select the option "Allow this user to administer computer."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh. I should have read this first before I suggested using SysPrefs :(

Do you have a boot DVD for Tiger? If you do, you can start the computer from that and reset the password. I should hope that you have the installer DVD that came with it!

OP
Q
Reaction score
m

problem is though, it is blocked - meaning I have no access to the buttons (I can't click any of them) or edit anything

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sounds like the account you currently logged into may not be an administrator account. To complete the steps Jamie-Jamie suggested you need to be logged into an administrator account.

If you are logged into an administrator account and things are still grayed out look for and click on the padlock at the bottom of the Accounts preference pane. When the next screen appears enter the user name and password for an existing administrator account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you purchase it new or get it second-hand? If you got it new, contact Apple. If you got it second-hand, talk to who you bought it from. You should have gotten the discs that came with it.

C

chas_m

These two threads should really be merged, but the bottom line is that if you're using someone's old account, this is a *really* bad idea.

Get some new system discs, back up your stuff, then ERASE THE DRIVE and install a fresh new system, and put your stuff back on in an admin account.

*Now* it's your computer. It wasn't really before.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Duplicate threads merged.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.