Bricked 13" MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
My MacBook has effectively been turned into a brick by a friend dropping something heavy on the keyboard. Anyway, trying to look on the bright side of things, I was wondering if there is anyway to reuse the display as a stand alone unit. If there is, cool. If not, oh well. I'm buying a new MacBook air next week anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
You can use the entire thing as a weapon by hitting your so-called friend with it. Seriously, the amount of "my computer was damaged/destroyed by being a goofball" these days makes my cry :(

Why isn't your friend buying a new one for you?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
My friend is giving the replacement cost of a new laptop, and I'm throwing in more to get a MacBook Air, which suits my needs better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
My friend is giving the replacement cost of a new laptop, and I'm throwing in more to get a MacBook Air, which suits my needs better.

Whew! Okay! Otherwise I really would advocate a touch of the mudane violence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.4C2D/4GB/250GB
might be a good idea to sell some of the usable parts. if you have no use for them

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you don't mind telling, what did your friend drop on the keyboard?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
He dropped a 1" shackle, which weighs approximately 3 kg. from approximately 26 meters. I was fortunate in that the hard drive survived the impact. Yes I know i now have a $999.00 paperweight. I really want to know if I can resurrect the display as a stand-alone device, only because I think it would look really cool mounted on the wall.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would have to say no on the display. It's designed to plug into the Macbooks motherboard.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
Well, thank you. I still think it would be really cool to set up said display as a separate monitor or picture frame or something along those lines. Oh well. Anyone want a 13" MacBook Display?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
It may be designed to work specifically with the motherboard, however, theory suggests that one must only supply power and data/signal to the display in order for it to work. Granted, I may just be completely insane, but oh well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 MBP, iMac, iPhone
I've had great luck selling parts on both craigslist & eBay.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
in carson

I am a rigger for a touring show, and he happened to be carrying the shackle over to another rigger. Needless to say he shouldnt have been carrying an unsecured object while in the air, but such is life. These things happen. Fortunately, no one was injured other than the Mac Book.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am a rigger for a touring show, and he happened to be carrying the shackle over to another rigger. Needless to say he shouldnt have been carrying an unsecured object while in the air, but such is life. These things happen. Fortunately, no one was injured other than the Mac Book.

Wow!

Well to me it's much better the Macbook got hit then some innocent person. It is a shame the MB was destroyed, but like you said, at least no person was hurt.

Reaction score

ouch! of course it landed smack in the middle of your macbook, it wouldn't happen any other way!

anyway, i have seen macbook screens selling on ebay quite a bit, you can probably get some cash for it there. you could use it for some kind of project, but you'd need to figure out all the pinouts, solder the correct hardware to it, etc, unless you're really good with that stuff, probably not worth the effort.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.