Mac Book Mini

Reaction score
I recently inherited a dead macbook that had been involved in a liquid spill. When I turned it on, it would do post beeps like it was missing memory even though there was a gig installed.

I noticed a bunch of green corrosion on/around the memory slots so I scoured the internets for ways to remove it. Tried baking soda, tried alcohol...Nope! At this point I said what the **** and I submerged the entire motherboard into Cider Vinegar and let it sit for an hour or two. I pulled it out, scrubbed it with a toothbrush focusing on the memory slots. Let it dry overnight then used compressed air on it (100psi) to make sure there was no extra water under the cpu/northbridge. Gave her power and bam it booted, I almost ****.

I knew it was too good to be true that it would work perfectly so I started to try and find issues. It wont charge or use a battery and the sound doesn't work due to traces coming off the board near the sound jack, other than that she works fine.

Knowing I don't have much of a laptop if its not portable, I decided to have some fun. I completely gutted the case and threw it all into a vintage Apple SC20 20MB SCSI drive. I have plenty of room in the case as you can see so I included the power adapter and a 5v power brick to power the usb hub and a small fan in the corner. I also put in a mini-dvi to dvi connector so I can expand the desktop if i wish, as I have a 22" screen sitting next to it.

I used pci slot brackets to hold the lcd on the cover and left the camera so I can make funny pictures of my face lol.

I know its not pretty by any means but I think its innovative. Let me know what you think!

_Dan

img1.png

img2.png

img3.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I like your "Frankenstein Monster" and the way you resurrected it from the dead. ;D Very innovative. Have fun with it. :D

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.4C2D/4GB/250GB
hahaha i love it :D
i have always wanted to do something like this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
That is absolutely beautiful. I once put an iMac logic board into a hatbox. My dad and I then converted the former iMac into a VGA monitor, hooked up the sound in so that the internal speakers could be hooked up to another Mac with an audio cable. My dad THEN put in a Firewire slot-load DVD drive and hard drive, attatched them to a Firewire hub inside so that they could be attatched to a Mac with one Firewire cable.

I loved using this thing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I'm with Jamie that is awesome. This is probably one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time. I wish we could nominated threads.

What are the specs on this Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Well done, and you almost lost me at the Cider Vinegar bath :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Very nice and very cool also you were able to get it working!

I own an SC20 drive. Mine still works as the drive for my old Mac Plus! :D

You got it all to fit in there. WAY cool!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Awesome and very innovative.

Now that is what i call thinking outside the box lol
Well done Dan

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Cool stuff man .... you have a creative brain.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.