Internet problem with high gain USB adapter

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an iMac desktop v10.4 that I've had for just over 2years.

I posted on here about 6months ago about my built in airport not being able to connect to the internet, and it turns out that I was probably out of range of the base station. Anyway, I was told to buy one of these:
Edimax EW-7711UAN 11n 150mbs Wireless High Gain USB: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

It has been fantastic ever since....until now.

Over the last few days I've connected to it as usual via the RA Link programme that was sent with it. I've entered my password and it has said connected, it even shows the link status as usual etc. However, when I open a browser (I've tried both Safari, Firefox and IE) it doesn't recognise that I am connected to the internet - ie messages about not being connected. It is extremely frustrating as it clearly is connected. The other thing is that Firefox is almost automatically going to Work Offline, as soon as I open it up.

Any ideas on what I can do? I can't think of anything that has changed, and the high gain USB adapter isn't damaged or anything...it still says connected.

I thought at first it might be a problem with Firefox not knowing how I connect to the internet (why, I'm not sure as I've not changed any settings?) but then Safari and IE did the same.

Please help me, my dissertation is really hard with no internet :(:(

Cheers

Katie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
I'm pretty sure I know the software. I own a Hawking Technologies USB WiFi dongle and it uses that same crappy software. I really don't know why the people who designed that driver can't just make it work correctly with OS X's built-in wireless subsystem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.