General Maintenence

Reaction score
Hey,

Just got myself a Macbook pro 13 last week and I'm completely loving it, I was just wondering is there any sort of software I should have for tasks such as Disk defrag and that sort of thing. I used to run this on my old windows system about once a month, not too sure what I'm supposed to do with the Mac. Also any general software you guys can recommend would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome.
This OS does a good job at defraging its self.

For a deeper maintenance clean than using the OS Disk Utility have a look at
MainMenu or
Oynx
I like to use MM but they both clean caches and do
20100306-q1efn94ieeec24d773f3g14pp.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.4C2D/4GB/250GB
there are a few applactions that are awesome that i think are a must.

FireFox
ThunderBird
Adium
appzapper

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I also recommend OnyX. The only reason I do not recommend Main Menu is that it costs $20.00 while OnyX is free. They both do pretty much the same thing though.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.4C2D/4GB/250GB
I also recommend OnyX. The only reason I do not recommend Main Menu is that it costs $20.00 while OnyX is free. They both do pretty much the same thing though.

Regards.

same for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Onyx all the way. Just know that only use Onyx once a month, if even that many times.

C

chas_m

Macs generally don't need a lot of maintenance or defragging.

I "defrag" my boot drive about once a year by cloning it to an external, zeroing out the boot drive, then cloning back. I don't feel the need to do this any more often, nor do I run OnyX but only (maybe) four times a year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.